Satellite installation: cable issues - NEVERMIND!!

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Any advice appreciated with a satellite installation issue.

We have a dish that receives French TV which has worked perfectly for a couple of years using the earlier Sky installation cabling etc. This week, we have been moving rooms about in the house, including the lounge, so previous cable setup no longer reaches the TV. So, yesterday spent running a new coax cable from port 3 (of 4) on the LNB, under the house to exit through the floor at the TV's new location. But...the receiver box no longer recognises a signal from the dish. I have brought the receiver back to its old location, and ran it off the original cables and it works as it did before, so no disturbance to dish alignment.

So now I'm wondering:
  • - Is there a specific cable (i.e. Sky specific) other than the regular 9mm coax I have used that I need to route to the new location? The original Sky cables (twin cables for Sky+) are thinner both in OD, and in terms of copper core.
    - Could the length of the new cable (around 15m) be enough to cause loss of signal?
    - Do the ports on the LNB need to somehow be 'activated' by Sky black magic?

Any help greatfully received :)

EDIT: it's all about the F-connectors people! Now working beautifully, meaning I'm free to play on the bike (road today - must work off some of the holiday beef)!

Re: Satellite installation - cable issues

If you have a local Maplins they should be able to help

Too many coax losses. You need low loss 75ohm cable, terminated with good quality connectors. also make sure the coax isn't crushed or damaged anywhere, and that any corners are gently radiused as any such issues will raise the impedance. There will be a maximum length that the lnb will pass a clean signal along.before it needs a booster.

Chopper1192":1f3frc6d said:
Too many coax losses. You need low loss 75ohm cable, terminated with good quality connectors. also make sure the coax isn't crushed or damaged anywhere, and that any corners are gently radiused as any such issues will raise the impedance. There will be a maximum length that the lnb will pass a clean signal along.before it needs a booster.
Watch for water ingress, too - self-fusing tape to seal things.

Re:

Cheers for all the advice. Chopper, i had wondered about crushed/snapped core along the length, as the girl measuring out the cable in the DIY shop did the whole 'kink to mark' measuring technique. Fortunately doesn't seem to have impacted.

Of course, it was all for nothing, as the management have since decided they want satellite in the old room despite its change in function. :facepalm:

Re:

Get a freesat box for the other room. Humax refurbished can be had cheap and reasonable or look for eBay boxes.

Depends what's needed

Back