Dawes Kingpin

That's a great looking machine, very well done sir, and I also have to keep stopping myself from doing one

Interesting to read, as I intended to try a Kingpin after I finished my Twenty, but space considerations prevented me.

It looks like it is really fun to ride. I like everything except the colour!

I'd be interested how the weight compares to a rebuilt Twenty (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=262350) as I would expect the Dawes to be a fair bit lighter.

This is interesting reading. I've recently scrapped my old 20" Universal shopper because it had got to the point where too many parts were worn out and nothing was a standard enough size that I could justify rebuilding it. It had a Thompson cottered bottom bracket with push-in cups, non-standard size headset, non-standard size stem, non-standard diameter bars and everything was knackered including the wheels. But that means there's been a 20" hole in my shed for a bit. So the bottom bracket on the Dawes, is that the standard threading and width? I'd be wanting to put a cartridge BB like a Shimano UN55 in.

Goldie":56wsrj2v said:
This is just lovely. Awesome component choices. Is it too soon to have a Retrobike small wheeled race series? .. :cool: :cool:

Yeah I'd be up for that. I've got a Mk1 RSW-16 that I'd be up for kicking your arses on. Fresh set of tyres, strip the guards and rack off, none of you would stand a chance :D

Re: Re:

Goldie":11n77dxn said:
This is just lovely. Awesome component choices. Is it too soon to have a Retrobike small wheeled race series? I'd kind of like to know what the top speed of this is round a velodrome track :cool: :cool:

I'm up for that too :LOL: Can we have one round off road? I've always meant to change the tyres on my Twenty and give it a go.

Loving this build......and I've just acquired a tatty Kingpin in the same colour (with plenty of black oversparay) as a parts donor for my early KP - and guess what I'm going to do with the frame!

Inspiring - love it.

Re:

Years ago I found a Kingpin in ditch abandoned and beaten up. I nursed it back to life then rebuilt it as a
10speed derailliar bike purely to see if I could. Built my first wheel for that project. Cold set the rear droputs etc
I used it as general purpose commuter before passing it on to a bike recycling charity.
Great wee bikes.
I had a Kingpin 18" wheeler as a child as well :)

Glad to be of use!

If you intend to upgrade yours, you should find most of the information you need in my initial write-up.

Be sure to start an in progress thread, I love to see a build up!

Back