Dawes Kingpin

Ralph_the_Rohan

Retro Guru
After seeing various modified Raleigh Twenty’s, Shoppers and other manufacturers’ versions of the classic 20” wheeled utility bikes, I decided I would love to put my on slant on the genre.

I began by sourcing a Pink Raleigh Shopper from a local Second-hand Shop for £10. Although I liked the funky 1970s paint scheme, after doing a bit of research, the various incompatibility issues with the non-standard specifications of the Raleigh, especially the 76mm Bottom Bracket Shell with its 26tpi thread, although not insurmountable, began to put me off.

I decided not to butcher the poor little Pink Shopper and donated it to the local Refuse Centre (Tip!), as they have an on-site Shop that sells the more useful rubbish that’s taken there. Interestingly I saw the very same Shopper on EBay about a month later with a £45 BIN price. Not sure if it ever sold!

I then began looking for one of the other makes of Raleigh Twenty lookalikes and the Dawes Kingpin, with its slightly racier styling (if that’s possible on a 20” shopping bike?) made it the one I wanted. Not long after one popped up on EBay, very near to me and, after an offer of £45, it was mine.

I knew all along that I wanted it to be a Single Speed, with my favourite Single Crankset, the Stronglight 49D. I handily had a set lying around, so these were pressed into service in combination with a 54 tooth TA Chainring, some modern, but retro styled MKS Sylvan pedals, MKS Toe Clips and ALE leather straps.

I initially intended to use a 14 tooth Freewheel, to closely match the Gear Inches of my Macleans Featherweight Track or Path, but I discovered, after purchasing a set of 20” x 1 3/8” (451) BMX Racing Wheels, that the smallest Freewheel I could fit without changing Hubs was a 16 tooth, so I stuck with the one the wheels came fitted with. I also had a set of Gripfast Wing Nuts lying around, so after changing the Front BMX axle to a 5/16” Road one, they were fitted.

Purely on an off chance I bought a cheap 120mm Stronglight Cotterless Bottom Bracket axle and it fitted straight in to the Kingpin using the same Ball Bearings and the original TDC Cups as both Stronglight and TDC used 1/4” Bearings.

The rest of the build came together just as easily, as the Kingpin uses Industry Standard fittings, so a 28.6mm diameter, 400mm length Seatpost and 31.8mm Quick Release Seatpost Clamp was acquired along with a new steel and alloy 1” Stem. Although the new Stem has an expander bolt I decided to leave the now redundant Dawes Stem clamp and Front Lamp Bracket in place as I just like the look of them!

Luckily the Kingpin comes ready fitted with Weinmann Alloy Sidepull brake calipers, rather than the basic steel calipers fitted to Raleigh Twenty’s, so a quick clean and they were pressed back into service after replacing the original pads with Weinmann ones more suited to alloy rims.

As set of Brick Lane Bikes Bullhorns where fitted along with Reverse Pull Levers, using the original Kingpin outer cable housing with new inner cables. I decided on orange Bar Tape to complement the Brown frame for a classic 70’s colour scheme.

Finally I had a Concor San Marco Supercorsa Saddle, which had been donated by a friend years ago, but which I had never had a use for, so that was also used.

I finally had time to do the final build up at the Weekend and a few hours later it was time for a quick shake-down ride of about 3 miles. It was a pleasure to find out that all the replacement components worked perfectly with no malfunctions at all. The whole bike is very comfortable to ride and surprising feels very similar to my Macleans, both in riding position and gearing.

All in all I’m very happy with the little Kingpin and am now looking forward to some longer rides. So, let’s see more modified Twentys, Kingpins and variants out on the road!

Here’s the Spec Sheet followed by some pics….

Frame: Dawes Kingpin – Non Folding

Fork: Dawes Kingpin

Headset: Dawes
Stem: Generic 1” Steel and Alloy Quill Stem. 25.4mm Clamp. 400mm Length
Handlebar: Brick Lane Bikes Bullhorn Bars. 380mm Width
Bar Tape: Orange Tressostar Cotton

Brake Levers/Brifters: Dia Compe Reverse Pull
Brake Calipers: Front – Weinmann 730 Sidepull. Rear Weinmann 810 Sidepull
Brake Pads: Weinmann
Brake Cables: Dawes

Shifters: N/A
Front Derailleur: N/A
Rear Derailleur: N/A
Derailleur Cables: N/A
Freewheel: 16 Tooth Freewheel
Chain: KMC 1/2 x 1/8 Single Speed
Cranks: Stronglight 49D (Marque Depose) – 170mm
Chainring: TA – 54 Teeth
Bottom Bracket: Stronglight 120
Pedals: MKS Sylvan SK-1 – MKS Steel Toe-clips – ALE Toe-Straps

Rims: Front and Rear – 20” x 1 3/8” (451) 36 Hole Alloy – Unknown Make
Hubs: Quando BMX Hubs
Hub Nuts: Gripfast Wing Nuts
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tubs: N/A
Tubes: Oxford Pathway 20"x 1 3/8"(451x37) White Wall

Saddle: Concor San Marco Supercorsa
Seatpost: ETC Micro Adjustable Alloy – 28.6mm Diameter – 400mm Length
Seatpost Clamp: Generic Alloy 31.8mm Quick Release

Bottle Cage: N/A
Extras:

Weight: Unknown

Attachments

• Ebay Pic 1a.jpg
    Ebay Pic 1a.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,721
  • Pic 1a.jpg
    Pic 1a.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 1,723
  • Pic 12a.jpg
    Pic 12a.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 1,715
  • Pic 13a.jpg
    Pic 13a.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 1,707
Re:

A few more pics....

Attachments

• Pic 5a.jpg
    Pic 5a.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,657
  • Pic 6a.jpg
    Pic 6a.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 1,657
  • Pic 9a.jpg
    Pic 9a.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,659
  • Pic 11a.jpg
    Pic 11a.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 1,659
Re:

Lovely job, I like the colour. Makes me want to get started on one of my twentys, I've got three in the garage waiting for attention!

Re:

That's lovely. I especially like it because my first bike was a Dawes Kingpin! I had a Raleigh Twenty frame and forks kicking around for years that I intended to do something similar with, but I never quite had the money to have a 20" wheelset built onto track hubs and the frame eventually got skipped. My local charity bike shop has a rather natty Triumph shopper in at the moment, so I'm tempted all over again. Good work!

Re:

Tim, Johnny and Neil,

Thanks for the positive comments. I certainly enjoyed my Kingpin project and if it inspires others to modify these super little bikes all the better!

Neil,

I really wanted to use the larger diameter 20 x 1 3/8 (451) rims as I think they are aesthetically more pleasing. A BMX Wheelset is the obvious route as they normally have alloy rims and obviously are all single speed. The problem is that nearly all sets you see for sale are the smaller 20 x 1.75 (206) diameter. The 451s are available but they tend to be more expensive high end racing wheels. I just kept scouring eBay until I saw a brand new set of 451s come up in my price range. If you are interested there just happens to be what looks like a nice pair of used 451s on there at the moment, a search for "Bmx Racing Wheelset 20 X 1 3/8 Alex rims" should find them.

Steve.

Thanks, I thought you might have found a source that isn't on the internet. I used to get in wheelchair wheels in that size, but they are obsolete there too. I know SJS do them, lovely rim, lovely price.

Everyone who has a Kingpin loves it.

There's a couple I have done here https://uncommonwheel.weebly.com/small-wheelers.html and some other small wheel bikes. I have a mint blue folding Kingpin at work, if anyone is interested. It's in Glasgow.

Re:

Can someone please lock or delete this thread....??

Not only have I ALWAYS fancied doing something like this, my first ever 'proper' bike was a sh*t brown non folding Dawes Kingpin!! This thread is giving me all sorts of ideas when I should be concentrating on other projects. Like life. And earning a living. And making up tomorrow's sarnies.... :LOL: :LOL:

This is absolutely fantastic, brilliant write up and a lovely, lovely little bike. Massive well done, mate.

Re:

This is just lovely. Awesome component choices. Is it too soon to have a Retrobike small wheeled race series? I'd kind of like to know what the top speed of this is round a velodrome track :cool: :cool:

Re: Re:

Goldie":18udtaaf said:
This is just lovely. Awesome component choices. Is it too soon to have a Retrobike small wheeled race series? I'd kind of like to know what the top speed of this is round a velodrome track :cool: :cool:

'Like' :LOL:

Back