Urgent Ebay/Paypal issue

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Good People of Retrobike - I have a question:

Been trying to pay a seller for 2 weeks after Ebay purchase but his email/payment details showing on Paypal are incorrect/unregistered.
I've paid the money and it is showing as "unclaimed" on the account.
Seller is now asking me to cancel that transaction and Paypal gift the money to a slightly different email address :roll:

Normally I'd bow out of the purchase but really need the items (car related).

Now we all know about the risks of PPG, but my question is this.............if I pay the Paypal fees and list the Ebay auction number etc with my payment - do I still have full payment protection?

Cheers

Iain

It will take him a single phone call to Ebay to sort this out. If he's unwilling/too stupid to do so, walk away.

sounds dodgy - if he can't be bothered to sort his account out, how do you know he can be bothered to send you the parts once you've gifted him the money? However much you need the parts, are they really worth the risk? If it was a tenner then maybe, but I assume they're more valuable than that?

I would run away screaming

Here in the US you are only covered under the buyer protection program after going through the resolution center process which has a time limit and must be initiated through the original auction. I'm confident that it must be similar int he UK. So the work around that the seller is offering would not be covered. It could be that this person is legit but confused or something but there are way too many scams.
Steven

I would be wary... I had a similar issue last year whit a frame and the seller got pretty arsey over it being my fault (how i don't know but he was adamant it was right and i was doing something wrong), it arrived and there were, issues over the condition and so forth.

Contact ebay. And if he wants you to PP it to that email addy then why can he not get it configured for his ebay account?

Don't do it. Did similar elsewhere for some tyres two weeks ago and am still waiting. No comms etc. not same seller I presume but first time in 1000+ transactions I've been stupid enough to risk ppg and......... :facepalm:

I would just tell them to sort out their Paypal and invoice you once they have done so. If they won't raise an issue with Ebay.

e bay can make it very difficult to change payment details once an item has been sold

offer to cover the fees an pay him the normal way to the new e mail adress

dan28":2ft290pb said:
e bay can make it very difficult to change payment details once an item has been sold

offer to cover the fees an pay him the normal way to the new e mail adress
Why would somebody do that?

A buyer isn't normally liable for the fees - why should anybody buying on ebay suddenly start in this instance?

highlandsflyer has it right - get the seller to sort out payment details with their paypal account, then issue an updated invoice. If they're not prepared to do that, open a case with ebay / paypal.

Being "nice" about this may see the buyer get scammed, probably with no recourse.

Back