Pleasant unexpected find - 1990 Zolatone Team Marin

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So I'm currently on two weeks of leave and drove from Kent to Taunton in Somerset late last night to see my parents, I was expecting to have a bit of time away from any retro bikes but brought some parts I have no use for to give to a bike charity.

On Your Bike, based in Taunton, take donated bikes and parts which they restore and sell on. The company is a charity and train up those for whom life has not always dealt the best hand and people such as ex service personnel.

http://on-your-bike.org

I popped in last year and came away with a lovely green to purple fade Stumpjumper and an LX chainset.

Today I nearly came away with a grey early 90's Stumpjumper frame and an aluminium mid to late 90's Gary Fisher frame however neither was really my personal cup of tea so I continued to search.

Bingo!!!!!! :)

It needs some real love and attention in regards to cleaning but it's pretty much all there, only the tyres aren't original and are almost new looking Ritchey Megabites. I remember getting the same water bottle free with MBUK years ago, unfortunately the lid was brittle and snapped but you can't have everything!

Updates on progress to follow but not for a while.

Re:

Cor, what a score. The 90 Team is on my dream list but the closest I've got so far is my 90 Pine Mountain. What's the zolatone like?

The frame is in very nice condition, no real rust to speak of. There is surface rust on most chromed parts but it should come up a treat. Only think I'm worried about is the cage on the front band type mech. The painted parts have a few chips but with some degreaser and paint polish I reckon they'll look sweet.

I couldn't believe it when:

A) They said it was for sale
B) I was told the price.

12 months ago my mrs would have told me to skip a bike in that condition but since my purchase of my Rockrider in a very abused and unusable state which now sits in me shed looking a lot prouder than she was originally the mrs would now take one look at yours and say that will look good when it's been sorted ;) which i can honestly say she'll be very surprised to see yours when it's done and i'm really eager to see that paint work cleaned up as i bet theirs a good finish hiding under that grime ..

Excellent find and a bit of KARMA for your good intentions. That should clean up well and make for a fun project. Enjoy!

Rampage":3atl0nj3 said:
http://www.bikerecyclery.com/nos-3dv-purple-anodized-cnc-crank-dust-caps-covers-topline-1990s/

Seems the crank bolt covers are worth almost as much as the whole bike :LOL:
Rather than keep the rusty water bottle bolts, brake pivot bolts and mech bolts, I was going to add to the previous owners little bit of purple by swapping these bolts out with some purple ano ones I have laying about.

Apart from this slight spec change I reckon I'll swap the tyres out for an amber wall smoke and dart and that should be it, unless I can track down some good Marin Rockstars. Just hoping the band type front mech can be rescued as I can't find any on eBay.

I guess it was KARMA for taking in the bits, still feel like I ended up with the much better deal!

I'm itching to crack on but I'm the other side of the country from home for two weeks.

Re:

I say ... that's a bit of alright! And plenty there to keep you occupied for a while.

Have to say the neon pink looks killer against the grey - hope it isn't not too faded.

Re: Re:

JonTom":152euvf8 said:
I say ... that's a bit of alright! And plenty there to keep you occupied for a while.

Have to say the neon pink looks killer against the grey - hope it isn't not too faded.

The pinks really good and vibrant with the odd chip but given her age it can be excused. It's not the best set of pics. A good clean and polish should bring it up a treat.

Itching to get started but can't :x

Back