93 Klein Pinnacle Modern Build

mtnbkrsnobdr

Retro Newbie
This is the rebuild of my 93 Klein Pinnacle to turn it into a modern mountain bike. It has a brand new Shimano XT component group including crank and disc brakes. The only exception is a Phil Wood outboard bottom bracket so that I can use a modern crank. I had a custom fork built by Mountain Racing Products (White Brothers) with a 1" threaded steerer tube and 80mm of travel. I used a Thompson seat post and WTB seat to finish the build.

I had to make my own rear disc mount which will eventually get black anodized. I also had to machine down the bottom bracket shell to the right width and open the internal cable routing holes for the rear hydraulic brake line.

Attachments

• Klein resize.jpg
    Klein resize.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,728
  • Brake Mount.jpg
    Brake Mount.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,724
  • Machine.jpg
    Machine.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,716
  • OBB.jpg
    OBB.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1,723
Re:

That is SUPER clean! I really like the modern amenities. I've been trying to figure out how to get my Pulse to accept a XTR m950 Octalink but Phil Wood Outboards won't work. I hate to say it but the cantilever brakes really take away from the downhills…great disc addition!! Do you have anymore info on the White Bros fork?

Re:

Regarding the fork, I forget the name of the guy I was dealing with now and I've since deleted his emails but I just clicked on the "Contact Us" link on the Mountain Racing Products web page which brings up a little message page where I asked if it was possible to get a fork with a 1" steerer tube. A guy from MRP emailed me back later and we worked out the details.

This link is for the fork: http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/w ... hers/loop/
This link is for the fork specs: http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/w ... Sheet1.pdf

Hopefully you can copy and paste these links, if not I'm sure you can find the same info on the MRP web page.

The fork I have is the Loop 80 SL for a 26" wheel. The spec sheet (2nd link) is a little out dated. I was told the Loop SL replaces the Loop TCR. The only options really are the color and travel. I went with 80mm similar to the original fork I had before (Answer Manitou 5). The White Bros fork is now rebranded and brought under the Mountain Racing Products name so it's really a MRP Loop 80 SL. It took about two weeks from when I ordered the fork until it shipped. They didn't even charge extra for the non-standard 1" threaded steerer. It was the same price as the stock offerings. I'm very happy with the fork. Technology has come a long way since my Manitou 5. All I had to do was cut the fork steerer to the final length and install. I'm using a Chris King headset and everything went together very nicely.

I haven't ridden it yet off road but I'm looking forward to it as this is once again my primary XC bike.

A Pinnacle in sea&sky?

mtnbkrsnobdr":3ewhfuit said:
and open the internal cable routing holes for the rear hydraulic brake line.

Should´ve used a frame that already has been drilled :(

But - yes, it´s not looking bad at all. Interesting way mounting a disc in the rear. Do you think this construct will be strong enough?

Friendly greetings
IHateRain

mtnbkrsnobdr,

How is your disc brake mount working out? I recently found a Pinnacle and am considering a build with mechanical discs(I don't want to drill out the cable routing holes. I've seen some rear disc brake mounts for sale on ebay(http://goo.gl/vJ863V). Did you try any these before making your own?

Best,
Tumbleweed

Back