Cycle gps / Strava

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi , not sure where to post this so i will start here !
I played with Strava on my phone a bit last year and quite liked the idea but didnt like having to ride round with my expensive phone on the bike or in my pocket etc .
Im a total dummy with stuff like this so what would i need to do the job of the phone ? i only need the most basic unit as im using the free Strava app so need of heart rate or cadence ,stuff like that , i just want to get in from the ride and have my feeble efforts on my Strava dashboard :D
Cheers Paul

Re:

I was in exactly the same position (though I still take my phone with me on rides, it's just that the gps isn't accurate when it's in my pocket!), so I bought a used Garmin Edge 200 for £45. Does exactly what you're after and has the added bonus of breadcrumb-trail route navigation if you want.

You do need to connect it to a PC to upload your ride to Strava when you get in though.

Re:

Have a look at the Lezyne computers too, iv just got the Power model cause i wanted to add sensors to it but they do a smaller more basic model too. I chose it over the standard Garmin cause iv had a few mates have various issues with garmin models and software and Lezyne normally makes high quality stuff.

Had it about a week and it seems ideal for my needs, the other bonus is it connects to your smartphone via bluetooth so uploads direct to strava without the need for a computer.

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":3qz9eh1d said:
I know the OP didn't ask about navigation functionality, but the Lezynes don't have it.

Please excuse my being thick but what is that ? :oops:
Paul

Re:

At the most basic level (as on my Garmin), you can create routes or download them from other people's Strava rides and load them onto the GPS which will then give you a "breadcrumb trail" (line on the screen) to follow as it guides you round the route.

More expensive versions have full OS Mapping, turn-by-turn navigation, all that sort of thing.

Re:

I only really want to be able to use the basic / free ! Strava without having to risk carrying an expensive smartphone with me so the cheaper and simpler the better :D

Cheers Paul

Re:

My mistake, the Polar M400 is £130. Look for a used Garmin Edge 200, should be less than £50. They're only £70 new.

Back