this convinces me ...

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
.... that tubeless is the future.

I was swapping tyres out and found this, no idea how long its been there, actually didnt know the tyres were running fluid and without tubes.

Attachments

• CAM00433-1.jpg
    CAM00433-1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Re:

This is why I'm trying tubeless for the first time. On my local ride there's a few miles along a thorn hedgerow and I always had plenty of punctures in my inner tubes. I'm just having a little trouble to get my specialized front tyre to fully seal

Re:

Snot a thorn but a 25 mm nail.
There was a thorn in the front tyre, again no sign it was there.

Re:

Looks like the nail is holding air itself ... usually if its causing air loss you get a little 'wormcast' of latex clumped to the offending invader. :eek:

and thing is.. tyres for tubes are thicker. guy i bought my bike from was running a tubeless tyre with a tube in on the back as it stopped him getting punctures after he kept getting em at his local.. food for thought!

In the last year i've replaced 2 sets of tubeless tyres with tubes. Not against tubeless, but for me tubes are still the future.

The area I started mtbing in, if we'd have had tubeless then, it would have been a godsend. There were thorns, thorns and more thorns, basically got a flat every ride, had tubes that were more patches than tube. If I still rode there or somewhere similar, or terrain that caused many flats, then yeah, I'd be all over tubeless.
But where I mostly ride these days, in the last 3 years have not had one tube flat (till tomorrow probably), on\ly flats I've had have been with tubeless. 1 tyre I had burp and that was it, could never get it to seal again, the other I've had a heap of punctures I never knew about an 2 where it was enough to go to almost flat before it sealed and I could pump up and keep riding - of course that was tubeless working fine. But riding those same trails at the same speeds hitting the same lines, I would have 3:1 times through on tube tyres, zero flats, zero issues. So thats tubes working better.

People tell how it's easy to do tubeless, then procees to explain their tubeless rituals, which seems like an aweful lot of frigging around and ongoing maintenance. Me it takes 5 minutes to change a tube, then I pump them up maybe once a month, tubeless I was pumping up before every ride.

Also for me if I ran tubeless at less than 30psi, maybe 28psi, they felt real squirmy, tubes I run at 30psi, so no difference there.

I have no issues with tubeless and people running them and depending on the conditions I'd run them, but for 99% of my riding tubes are perfectly fine and for me, less hassle.

Back