Reliable MTB parts that last

Rob H

Retro Guru
Like a lot of people I commute to work by bike most days, 10 miles each way, unlike most people my commute goes straight through the middle of my local trail centre and whilst I stick to the fire road on the way to work I like to have a cheeky play on the way home. As such I probably do more miles off road than your average rider and therefore I'm always on the lookout for parts that can take the miles with limited maintenance. Alas all the reviews of new components focus on performance and rarely mention how they fair after 1000 miles probably because the journalists don't have the time to do that kind of testing, with the pressure of getting the new widget reviewed before their competitors article goes to print. So what item have you found to be bomb proof over years of riding? I know Chris King has a cult following but Hope stuff tends to last bar annual bearing replacements, any thoughts? I'm not convinced by hollow tech bottom brackets for reliability, they may score better in terms of stiffness but that's something I barely notice and I'm will to sacrifice, currently I playing with a Truvativ Giga Pipe BB, quad bearings and fully sealed sound better for what I want but can anyone recommend anything better? Pedals currently running Shimano SPDs as Cane Creek die if they're not regularly serviced but again open to suggestions as to better pedals.

TA chainrings, Shimano UN7x bottom brackets, SRAM cassettes, Shimano hubs, Shimano thumbies, Hope or Campagnolo Record headsets, White Industries Freewheels would be my list of stuff that lasts and lasts.

Re:

Hope headset and BB (hollowtech) , time pedals , hope hubs , ridden at least twice a week all year round through lots of poo , no issues in 3 years and still going strong (BB has been in 3 bikes !)

I've had 7 - 8 speed Shimano STX LX XT groupset stuff last well on touring/commuter bikes... if cleaned. Hubs not quite so good. Currently have an old mid 90's XTR front hub which has lasted very well

Invested in a 2nd hand rohloff many years ago. Was an expensive gamble but not regretted it. Would be painful.. but would replace it with a new one if it died.

King headset and hubs.
Shimano XTR cassettes.
Boone Ti Chainrings.
Royce BB, they last forever but are only great if you can eliminate creaks ;)
Avid BB mechanical disk brakes

Generally I've found that buy cheap buy twice is usually right.

XTR cassettes? You've got to be kidding me. My first (and last) XTR cassette lasted the grand total of 8 weeks. Switched to xt, at a third of the price, that did the rest of the season.

Re:

Steel chain rings, thick chunky cassette with less profiling mess, nice cheapish rust proofed chain.

Expensive doesn't always mean it'll last long, just it'll be lighter and last maybe as long.

Yeah. I've become a bit sick of alu chainrings lasting one winter.

I use a surly steel chainring. It is too new on the bike to comment on longevity.. but looks the part.

Back