1999 / 2000 Kona Blast rebuild

lauralou23

Retro Newbie
Hi :D

New here, need some advice please!

Girly question! I am currently rebuilding the above (the year is an approximation based on the colour scheme) having found the frame and forks on ebay. Does anyone know if the rear mech was on a hanger for this frame or if it was a direct fit? If you need a pic can post one.

Any advice much appreciated!

Many thanks :cool:

Re:

Hi, and welcome.

This frame should have a built it, but replaceable, mech hanger. The idea being that in a crash, if the hanger was damaged, you only need a new hanger, not a new frame.

Any decent older mech will bolt directly into this. Direct mount mechs are relatively new so won't be compatible with this frame.

It's possible that the frame has been used without gears, so the hanger could have been removed or modified to look cleaner. Even if that's the case, you can find replacement hangers easily enough.

I've added the image below to clarify what the hanger is. I apologise if this is too simplistic or condescending, that's not my intent.

Pat.

dropout-derailleur-hanger-for-avanti-haro-k2-kona-raleigh-WHDH-046D.jpg

Hi Pat,

That's great, many thanks for your help. I wanted to try and avoid paying £20 for what essentially is just a small piece of metal if I could but by the sounds of things it seems I can't do without one? From my research I believe it is hanger number 46 I need but I can't find it any cheaper than that :(

Many thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura,

I've just done a quick search and I would agree that you need hanger number 46. I would say you'll struggle to find one any cheaper than here, at £14.88 delivered: http://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-fra ... 73945.html

I've not ordered from them before, but they offer paypal as a payment option, so you have good protection.

Cheers,
Pat

Re:

Superstar components are selling them 7.99 free 1st class post and usually free sweets :) that's where I get mine from

Re:

Oh poop! I've just paid £14.99! :x :facepalm:

Thought I would post a pic of the progress so far. I didn't like the original orange so have gone for a change. Be interested to hear what people think?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 569
Back