New retro / modern project

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I am looking at getting a 'once in a lifetime' titanium frame and considering what components to fit. The frame will be retro but will have a modern groupset and components. I am restricted to using v-brakes on the frame but that is not a problem.

So, not being 'on trend' with all this modern kit what brands are most respected these days. Already have a modern bike with Easton kit which I know is very good but I have been looking at Controltech and Crank brothers stuff which looks good but does it cut the mustard these days?

Personally I'm quite fond of KCNC. Light, rare and half of their catalogue has that CNC look of the 90s, albeit with a modern twist.
Mind you, it's expensive stuff. AEST makes lookalike products at around half the price (based on the CNC V-brakes I see on Ebay UK).

i'm liking thomson stuff at the moment, for modern and retro, it's been around for ages so fits well with old and new and can be picked up at sensible prices, CRC always seem to doing deals on it, not to mention ebay, i just got a stem 110x5x25.4 for £13 and it's mint!

regarding the groupset, i think that the slx and xt groups are both good at the moment, both have lots of choices on gears ratios etc, i still think Sram is not as reliable, long lasting and also not as matching in its look.

the other thing to look out for is m970 xtr, the chainset is abit fugly but they still did v brakes in this version and the mechs look cool

you gonna use a suspension fork?

Looking at XT groupo in 2x10 transmission format and using a rigid fork. I did give someone the perfect fork for the frame a while back. Have written a tentative begging pm to ask if they still have it.

Will take a look at Thomson stuff ...

I'm not a fan of Crank Brothers stuff at all.
I've got a modern Control Tech stem which is nice.
I don't think you can go far wrong with Race Face or Ritchey WCS.
Thomson do make lovely stuff, but at a price if you are looking at new.

I like the look of the Controltech TNA stuff. I wish my budget could stretch to the Timania bits, they are lush.

I'll dig out my Ti Bontrager and take some pictures. Been meaning to do it for a while. It's an old frame with modern(ish) parts.

I do a fair bit of modern building, tried a lot of things for function, and choice is subjective but I'll give you my 2ct worth.

Of the ones you mention for a once in a lifetime frame I would not use Easton parts. Their medium priced kit is everywhere on low end bikes, and the good stuff is expensive so has plenty more interesting alternatives, no match. I've tried Crank Bros and it looks ace, but in my experience it suffers too much from the form over function issues, I'm not going there again. Good deals on it though. Control Tech I have not used lately, but it looks good and has fine retro heritage, I would consider.

Of the others mentioned Thomson is almost the default choice for titanium. I've built several bikes with their kit, very classy and high quality, at a price. Notably they don't do low end stuff which supports the classy image. Used items pop up frequently and they keep very well.

Lately I've gone looking for alternatives and ended up with a U.S.E. build, well engineered classy kit, with impeccable retro roots. Again at a price though and harder to find used. And pop over to the 98+ readers wives section to see my Cielo with Ritchey classic parts, nice and affordable if polished is your thing.

To keep to some form of a budget and get nice parts I buy most of my kit used on the for sale forums plus e-bay. Then again, that may not be what you want for a once-in-a-lifetime build. Given limits I would spend the money where it matters most to me, on the wheels and contact points that is.

Enjoy!!

Good news. I have purchased the frame so now the long wait for it to make its way from California. BTW it's a Litespeed built Parkpre Pro Elite.

Back