Build your own 753 mtb

Re:

Very nice...wonder how easy it is to find a frame builder good enough to tig weld that.

I don't think you'd find *ANY* welder good enough to tig 753.

At least not if you wanted to ride it........

mattr":17kreel6 said:
I don't think you'd find *ANY* welder good enough to tig 753.

At least not if you wanted to ride it........

I believe Scott Bengston probably could have done back in the day. Some late 80s Fats were Tig welded used tubing which was supposed to be lugged/fillet brazed only but it's pure conjecture and not worth a volume argument :LOL:

Re:

On a cost/quality/desirability basis, how does this compare to getting a frameset built up from top end new tubes? Not something I have any real knowledge of.

My pockets aren't nearly deep enough but unless theprice is way out tthis has to be worth a pop for someone on here? Great project - build a Brand new retro bike. Would it qualify for botm?

Re:

As an example, I paid around £200 for the Columbus tubeset for the 29er I built last year, and that was just for the main triangle. I then had to pay extra for stays/drop-outs/head-tube/BB etc.

I'm VERY tempted to buy this and just tuck it away until I'm in a position to have a crack at brazing it up.
I'm collecting old 'scrap' frames at the moment, for practicing on once I get my workshop set up, and this would be a nice set of tubes to have in the bank for when I'm confident of doing them justice.
It's just a shame I also have a house to renovate and holiday to pay for right now too :roll:

Re:

Anyone handy with silver?
I've got a certificate that says that I am ;)
IMG_9161.jpg

But I could get a seriously high end new steel set for that kind of money, so I'm out...as they say.

All the best,

Re:

£450 or best offer. Just sayin.

Can't be many people with the skills these days...

If it's still there in a few weeks you'll probably get a deal...... ;-)

Back