1999 Cannondale Ashton Signature Edition Build

DMC3000

Old School Hero
I was bought this frame as a birthday present last year but with house and family life absorbing time and money it's taken longer than expected to work on it.

The frame has a few scratches and scuffs but my plan was to build it up without spending too much and just enjoy riding it.

My plans didn't happen though and it spent last winter in storage.

Re:

Decided to paint the fork...and then my utility room...

Since I couldn't find any decals I liked online, I recreated the originals in Illustrator. I thought the original type was too wide so just narrowed it slightly on my version so it's more in line with the top tube graphic.

Completely fed up with 'perfect condition' parts from here and eBay I gave up and decided to go new for the drive train and some other bits...

firedfromthecircus":21l6hkij said:
Looking good so far. :cool:
Forks look great. What paint did you use and what were you doing to the steerer?

Fork was off a headshok so a mate sorted a longer steerer from an old donor fork I had and tapped threads for some standard size brake bosses (also from the donor). Can't remember on the paint...it was mixed for my by a local auto paint supplier. It'll do until I can find a reasonable condition original blue fatty or pbone!

Re:

Borrowed the racelines from my old specialized and replaced them with some black ones before a quick tidy up and back into storage.

Re:

Back on the cannondale, problems...

Bottom bracket far too short so asked around and decided on a 118mm replacement. The bashing I planned to use has a drilled dx chairing with extra deep teeth. When I tried it with the 10speed kmc chain those extra long teeth snagged the chain. I also realised that the 18t gearing would also be lower than I wanted so back into the parts bin it went, to be replaced with a middleburn pro trials 22t.

Re:

I made some vinyl Volvo decals for the top tube and did other little bits whenever I could spend 10 minutes or so messing about with it...

Back