Headsets & Gear levers (Raleigh rebuild)

morpheus

Retro Newbie
Hi all, hope this is an appropriate question - I'm relatively new on here! I am in the process of restoring my 1989 Raleigh Delta (105 groupset)(finally got the urge) - great fun so far , learning as I go...

...but I've got stuck on two things:

Firstly my crown race (?) appears to be cracked (I'm assuming it is a crack rather than built that way!) - I'm hoping that this shouldn't be too much of a problem to find a replacement...

Secondly though, part of the plastic covering on my gear changer is cracked :( - unfortnuately it's the 'midnight blue' version of 105, lever is labelled SL-1051, and I've been searching around without luck for replacements...my question is, do you know if it's possible to take these levers apart? If so, I could replace the plastic casing from a 'standard' 105 of the time (there's a couple on ebay methinks). The only technical diagram I can find just shows the screw + part of the fitting coming away - nothing about taking the mechanism apart, so I am not keen to start forcing things at this point...

any help gratefully recieved!

Pics would help a lot on this thread....

The crown race should be easy enough to replace, surprised it's cracked though in all honesty as they are normally steel. Any chance of a picture?

The 105 levers, iirc, will come apart no problem. Should be simple enough to find out just undo the fastening on the mech holding the cable so you have some slack and then unscrew the lever from the frame. If the parts don't come apart easily then just a very small amount of leverage with a screwdriver (etc) should see it come apart, if it doesn't then you're out of luck.

pictures...

Finally worked out how to upload picture - use a different computer (!) :)

*EDIT* Eek, quite a large file - many apologies!!!

Attachments

• P3150010.JPG
    P3150010.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 523
..and one more...

hopefully this picture will be a little more appropriately sized...

Thanks for the info Tel + Hamster, I was afraid that the lever looked a bit too 'sealed' and that that crack was a bit permanent...

ah well, time for a bit of trawling ebay I guess ...

Attachments

• P3150011.JPG
    P3150011.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 517
Back