Raleigh Banana 531c Build.

I had an issue with the new headset being too high for the steering tube and tried a few options so I could keep the Dura-Ace 7410 headset. This sadly didn't work, so resorted to something with a shallower stack hight.
This will be little consolation to you but I had the same problem with a frame that I restored.
I decided that I wasn't going to be beaten so I bought another set of threaded forks. After some careful measurements I cut both sets of forks so that the top piece from the new set was longer than the old piece. Then I got a length of steel tubing which surprisingly enough comes in a standard size to fit inside the steerer. This gives support which you don't get welding the two ends together. Then the hard bit was finding a TIG welder - must be TIG welded due to the steel specification. I gave him the offcuts to set his machine up with and then he welded to two parts together. Cost me £20 plus a cheapo set of forks from the bay.

Cost me far more than it was worth but OCD rules and I could have a matching headset.
Somewhere on here is a you tube video of the whole process.

Caved into the pressure and decided to donate my ITM bar and stem combo I purchased for the merckx project. After fitting I wasn't happy with the look so went for a black stem and bars.

Attachments

• 20231018_071841.jpg
    20231018_071841.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20231128_185310_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128_185310_Gallery.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My Raleigh Banana build was completed recently and thought I'd share a few before, during and after pictures.

The bike started out as an ebay purchase and came with good paint and an original 105 / 6 speed groupset.

The plan was to improve the running gear so I decided on the tried and tested Dura-Ace 7400 group with a few modern twisted.
Hope you enjoy.
Hello

Did you have the original water bottle, im looking to complete my build the opposite to you I want my bike as original as possible and looking for the water bottle which is a Mavic in yellow also would you sell the wheels

Thanks

Glenn

Hello

Did you have the original water bottle, im looking to complete my build the opposite to you I want my bike as original as possible and looking for the water bottle which is a Mavic in yellow also would you sell the wheels

Thanks

Glenn
The bike didn't come with any bottles and sadly all the original parts were sold.

Great builds! On the topic of headset for a short steerer, had the same issue with my Scapin. Wanted to install a new Campagnolo Record on but the total stack height was too big, so I resorted to the trusted but ugly 105 headset. After a lot of research, I found that Tange Levin CDS have some of the smallest stack height and that’s what I installed. They’re pretty hard to come by though.

Back