C Record Crank Set Removal

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

Hi,

How do you get these off; I have not come across these before.

For starters I assume the center hole is for a 7mm allen key (I don't have one of those currently) ...

Seems I need a twin pin spanner as well ...

What is the order of attack?

************************/images/montello/blue/berlin/chainset.jpg
************************/images/montello/blue/berlin/dustcap.jpg

Re:

Never had one of those, but it looks similar to Shimano's one-bolt release idea. So as you unscrew with the 7mm allen key, the chainset comes off.

The bolt you unscrew pushes against the outer ring (the one with the 2 holes) and lifts the chainset away.

By using a punch and tapping away at the 2 holes counter clockwise, you remove this outer ring and can then use a normal extractor (not that I'm suggesting you do this, unless there are hidden problems)

Re:

SO you are saying these are self-extracting crank bolts; just unwind them?

The outer bolts are also threaded. Via a pin spanner ensure they are tight. Centre bolt is then left hand thread to remove. Certainly that's how they are on mine which are 1st gen 1984. I assume they are the same for later iterations?

They are self-extractors, so just unscrew the 7mm-head allen bolt anticlockwise to remove the cranks.

BUT

The outer ring (NOT the inner bolt) has a left-hand thread. You can just make out the root of the reversed thread in your picture. So if you need to remove the outer ring for any reason, it's clockwise to loosen. Likewise, if the self-extractor fails for any reason, you need to source a special left-hand-threaded Campag crank extractor.

Thank you gentlemen ... I now need to buy a 7mm allen key as all my sets go from 6 to 8 ....

Yes or wd40, light oil etc.
If you think of the spanner length most of us use on a traditional crank extractor, compared with a puny 7mm Allen key.
Just lubricate the tapers in advance and they come off with a satisfying smoothness.
J

Re:

Good advice, long handle Allen key required if you_'re removing with the self extracting bolts.

I gave up on the self extracting bolts and use standard bolts now, but you will need the left hand threaded extractor. Nigel at Campyoldy did have some, I bought two just in case!

Richie

Back