Square taper axles and cranks tolerances

Frankenorange

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hello

Question for the hive mind.....

When you fit your new cranks on to your new axles(both JIS i might add!!) do you find the axle protrudes into the crank more on the drive side?

I ask because i have two XD2 copies and one genuine Sugino XD2 and they all have about 3mm from the axle nose to the bolt mating shoulder, in the DS arm, and a good double that on the NDS. Same on a Shimano triple, which is whatever came under XT. The latter has been on and off a million bikes but the others were all new and the BB is a 107mm XTR. I have two of those and some unused NECO and the fit is all the same.

I assemble dry and us a regular length allen key and go as tight as squeezing the key and arm together allows with both hands, but without giving myself a hernia. No cracks on inspection and ranks dont come loose.

New Sugino cranks have utterly appalling machining / casting tolerances! So im not suprised the square taper is all over the place. I sent a pair back as you couldn't fit rings on them...the holes were so badly drilled that only 3 of the 5 bolts could ne done up and one time!

But they are cheap and seem to last.

Thank you for the info on these cranks.

I have to say that the SPA copies of the XD2 seem to be better machined than the Sugino, but both aren't brilliant. They are cheap and do the job, though. Both versions have a something going on, at one of the arms, as thinner rings have a little wobble in them. Thicker rings fair better and i would take a guess that the jig used for machining the tabs isn't square, or the arm is being slightly bent when drilled. All the bolt holes do line up though!!

I will ignore the Shimano arms as they are old and have been through several owners and builds.

I have ignored this issue as it has been problem free, but i would rather have better. Any suggestions for best machined 110bcd square taper cranks with decent heel clearance welcome :)

The spa ones are still made by sugino. The crown is still stamped on the back....or was a couple of years ago.

The crown is still there on the back but they are different to the original, which is odd. Slight differences in the casting and machining and the arms on the SPA version are a little stiffer. For the price they are ok and can be had super cheap 2nd hand.

Back