Feedback
View
Renamed post to reflect questions
Ok
Here's something I've been wondering about
What's a better freewheel?

Suntour winner pro or Shimano Dura Ace?
(6 speed )

In terms of fit finish durability and performance and weight?

Re: Suntour Winner Pro vs Shimano Dura Ace Freewheel

Unless you go titanium or Alloy the weights of all steel based freewheels are about the same. The Winner Pro / Ultra 6 and 7 came with a thinner chain that was specific to the freewheel and are a real pain to source. The design of the Suntour cogs was meant to make them stronger but don't remember either of them breaking.

They all worked the same generally until Shimano started to markedly alter the shape of the cogs (Ultra Glide), before that there were bevels and grooves but didn't seem to make much difference.

I usually went for the shiniest, Shimano were generally a bit more gold looking than Regina Oro :)

Shaun

Can't really comment on the original question, but FWIW I use 7-speed Winners with a standard 6-8sp chain and have had no problems.

Suntour back in the 70's were a bit maverick, they played a wild card with the "Ultra" series of blocks / chains. they reduced the cog spacing from 5.5mm to 5mm so they could cram in more cogs on the freewheel and brought out a thinner chain..........just as rear spacing (OLD) went from 120 to 126mm which trashed their strategy. On top of that they had a haphazard "Ultra" range for the Winner and Pro Series so you never knew what was what.

There is a great history of Suntour on the net somewhere about their missed opportunities which (allegedly) were down to the boss at the time. They brought out the first slant pantograph and indexed gears IIRC.

8 speed gearing and chains uses 5.0mm spacing so should be OK with either the Ultra or 5.5mm spaced Suntur freewheels.

The reps who had to sell the stuff had a terrible time BITD.

Shaun

Midlife":3geqa55x said:
Suntour back in the 70's were a bit maverick, they played a wild card with the "Ultra" series of blocks / chains. they reduced the cog spacing from 5.5mm to 5mm so they could cram in more cogs on the freewheel and brought out a thinner chain..........just as rear spacing (OLD) went from 120 to 126mm which trashed their strategy. On top of that they had a haphazard "Ultra" range for the Winner and Pro Series so you never knew what was what.

There is a great history of Suntour on the net somewhere about their missed opportunities which (allegedly) were down to the boss at the time. They brought out the first slant pantograph and indexed gears IIRC.

8 speed gearing and chains uses 5.0mm spacing so should be OK with either the Ultra or 5.5mm spaced Suntur freewheels.

The reps who had to sell the stuff had a terrible time BITD.

Shaun

Thanks for that Shaun.
Missed opportunities for Suntour which is a shame as they're still popular and well loved.
I see Sun XCD claim to be spiritual heirs or rather Suntour resurrected - any experience with them?

I'm using Suntour Superbe and had decided on the Shimano Dura Ace - because I trust Shimano with their sprockets and cassettes and assume they're probably the best with regards freewheels too. And Suntour is confusing, with Winner Perfect Winner Pro Pro Compe three's no knowing what the difference is, but I'm always open to trying something decent.

I have two Dura Ace freewheels .

Shaun any experience with the Suntour Microlite ? They're very expensive
Or the Zeus 2000? How do these alloy ones compare ?
And another question, how do European freewheels - even very expensive ones, compare to Japanese?

The major manufacturers of the day back in the 70's looked at freewheels as they were made of steel and weighed a lot.... The Alloy / Titanium alternatives cost an absolute fortune or wore out at a frantic rate so never made it to the shelves of normal bike shops.

Pro teams and TT guys with lots of money bought them not real people.

Zeus stuff in Hull was tricky, there seemed to be an unwritten law that Ken Elleker Cycles sold Zeus while we sold Shimano...

Shaun

Back