Raleigh pro track bike colours 1975

half cog

Senior Retro Guru
Hi.
Have aquired a raleigh pro track frame from 1975. The bike came to me as a poyner in a pearl and rust finish.As has been said poyners bought most of their frames in so when you get one you need to turn detective to sort out what you have bought.To be honest it was a lot of fun doing it .It has a carlton cycles CC vented bottom bracket and the prefix and numbers put it at Worksop in may 1975. The final clincher was the head badge holes found under the poyner decal. Two at the bottom and one at the top as in raleigh heron badges.I want to re paint this in the sky blue used at the time. Does anyone have a paint code or any indication as to what shade it is.I can only find one photo and that is on the front of a catalogue of the period on the web. Also this frame has been sprayed in a very tough enamel. May even be a two pack. Jenolite wont touch it. I could get it shot blasted but the chrome head lugs are still fine so far as I can see having been under paint for the last forty years and I dont want to damage the chrome.So anyone know of an industrial quality paint stripper? I am told that the over the counter stuff has now been weakened to conform with new regulations.Fine but not a lot of good when it wont work. Any info much appreciated
Regards and happy new year
Peter

Nice find :). By 1975 the Raleigh colours were the well known red, black,yellow. Before that red and white and sky blue just before my time which would be the early 70's.

Perhaps someone locally can chemically strip and bead blast it for you? I have tried modern nitromors and it seems pretty hopeless.

Shaun

Hi.
The blue is that bit more subtle. They also did it in red flam and white and that looks really something. Still think I would prefer the blue though. The blue cannot have been very popular as there are very few photos of bikes done that colour.As said the only photo I can find is on the front of that years cat on the web so it is a scan of a 40 year old photo.I would like to have been a bit more accurate than that if I can.If not I will get as near as. Its not as if there are dozens about to compare it with. Going to enquire about bead blasting in the morning.Thanks for getting back to me.
Regards
Peter

I agree it would have been the Team TI red/black/yellow colour scheme at that time.

How did you get access to the serial codes out of interest? I'm trying to date a similar bike.

Hi
Have seen photos in the red black and yellow. Also red flam and the blue I mentioned earlier.Nothing is overly decided just yet as I am still trying to strip it.As paint stripper wont touch it I am skimming the paint of with a stanley blade and a heat gun.Have now found the chrome at the rear stays and that is also in good shape. It is a very steady job and tricky around the chrome lugs. Have a look at www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html Towards the bottom of the page is a section named 73 to 82 standardized serial system.Tis all in there.Whilst I have a Carlton I did not recognise the cc cut away bottom bracket.I took the poiner head badge decal off and there are three rivet holes.Trawling through classic head badges on the net I could only find raleigh that looked anything like.Nearly all badges are either top and bottom or side to side drilling.Being a track frame there is not as much choice as there is with road frames. Once I got into the raleigh sites it soon started to come together.I found the CC bottom bracket with the chainstay extensions then I came accross the Kurtkaminer site with the serial numbers. That gave me the factory year and month. As its a Worksop frame it is a professional.Had it been Ilkeston it would have been a team. Glad I sorted it out first because had I simply had it shot blasted whilst not knowing what it was I would have lost the chrome head lugs and stays. There is a lot of fun sorting these out. I have driven the wife to distraction with shouts of LOOK AT THIS everytime i have found something but all well worth doing.

Back