Pinarello - real or fake?

TomHammersley

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I've recently acquired a road bike frame off eBay. It has Pinarello decals, and it looks quite similar to Pinarellos of the 80s... but the closer you look, the more it lacks little details that are typical of Pinarellos you see around the net. For example, it lacks some of the touches such as the P graphic on the fork crowns or the top of the seat stays, the dropouts look different and so on. The biggest oddity I can see is that it has mudguard eyelets, which I've never seen on any other Pinarellos online.

Does this look like a genuine Pinarello? Perhaps it is a fake? Or perhaps it's a less well known lower spec model?

Thanks

photo1_zps62f793f0.jpg
[/URL]
photo3_zps17659b57.jpg
[/URL]
photo4_zps190baa8e.jpg
[/URL]
photo1b_zps8692c411.jpg
[/URL]
photo2b_zps5b7b6ffc.jpg
[/URL]
photo5b_zps1f09f352.jpg
[/URL]
photo4b_zpsa1c029cf.jpg
[/URL]

Can't remember seeing fork lugs on a Pinarello like this before ?

It all looks fairly low end to me. No detailing on the brake bridge, poor finishing on the chain stay brace and pressed steel drop outs not forged, the fork crown was very mass produced I've seen it with 531 blades but not Columbus. As far as I'm aware the seat tube decals run down the sides of the tube not the front. So, unfortunately it seems to have a lot of 'fake' pointers. You could measure the seat post diameter, I think that is the Columbus SL decal which would be 27.2mm.

Was it listed as a Pinarello?

The seat post is indeed 27.2.

It wasn't specifically listed as a pinarello, but obviously it has pinarello written on the frame.

I'm not that fussed either way, and I've half convinced myself it's fake already... Just curious, that's all.

Like Colnago they are widely faked by people hoping for a quick profit so I hope it wasn't a 'Pinarello' price tag. The Chinese are mass producing fake Dogma's at a fraction of the price, people buy them and list them on Ebay as supposedly genuine.

Nah it was only £30 on eBay.

Somebody was going to refurb it (hence the bits where you can see the paint rubbed off) but sold it on instead due to a new baby.

I just bought it as a cheap steel frame to muck about with. I didn't buy it believing it was genuine. All signs point to it not being genuine, but wondered if it were an uncommon lower end model.

Those rear dropouts are weird. They look like the old Benelux, Huret or Simplex type where the gear hanger part is 'bent' outwards. However, they look like pressed ones but Benelux, Huret and Simplex were cast. The gear lever boss also looks like Benelux/Huret/Simplex in which case Campagnolo etc. won't fit.

Deffo NOT a Pinarello I'm sure.

Good evening -

Have the forks Bocama lugs? They look very like my Gazelle fork lugs, i will look for a pic.

Richard

Back