Removing a BB from a GT

AR-CoolC

Retrobike Rider
Hi All

I'm in the process of stripping my GT Tequesta, all is off now apart from the BB.

I have the correct splined tool, but can't tell if one side is reveres threaded or not. Both sides are fast in.

So which side is reverse threaded, and which side needs to be removed first?

TIA

Conventional thread (clockwise to tighten) is on the left hand (non drive side), right hand (drive side) is left hand thread (counterclockwise to tighten, clockwise to slacken), if it's a Shimano BB i've always taken out the non flanged left hand cup first but not sure if it makes a difference.

Easiest way to remember how to undo the cups is to turn the spanner towards the front wheel (works on either side). Obviously turn towards the back wheel to tighten.

Best bet is to remove the lefthand (non-driveside) cup first. Make sure that you have a long handle on the spanner, especially for the driveside. It also makes things easier if you can use a crank bolt to fix the tool onto the BB when removing the driveside, just so you don't slip and bash your knuckles.

Xesh":3s7p1o8q said:
Easiest way to remember how to undo the cups is to turn the spanner towards the front wheel (works on either side). Obviously turn towards the back wheel to tighten.

Best bet is to remove the lefthand (non-driveside) cup first. Make sure that you have a long handle on the spanner, especially for the driveside. It also makes things easier if you can use a crank bolt to fix the tool onto the BB when removing the driveside, just so you don't slip and bash your knuckles.

i use that type of thinking for the pedals (but its the other way round)

Xesh":3t5zgaa0 said:

So remove the BB by turning in the same direction as the crank rotation!

Logic says that's the wrong way, as in threory pedalling along is un-screwing the BB.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, hopefully I'll get this out this afternoon, then I can start cleaning everything back up, and start re-assembly.

On that note, whats type of grease should I be buying to use on the headset etc?

Cheers

AR-CoolC":2tg41awq said:
Logic says that's the wrong way, as in threory pedalling along is un-screwing the BB.

You have no idea how many times I've heard that. The other one being about the pedals tightening up when riding. :roll:

This would only happen if the axle seized completely solid.

AR-CoolC":1y1z8lfc said:
On that note, whats type of grease should I be buying to use on the headset etc?

I use white Finish line stuff but any white bike specific grease should do though i dont know if there is any disadvantages using light car type grease ?

Also spray lube, GT85 is better than WD40, it has teflon in it so does'nt wash off as easy, smells nicer too ;)

Back