Slipping Seatpost SORTED!

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Need some advice guys.

My seatpost (Ringle Moby) keeps slipping down whilst riding. Not alot but enough - 30mm+ in a 3hr ride. I know its the right size for the frame (which is Ti) but I just don't seem to be able to get the seatclamp (its a Hope) quite tight enough.

Any suggestions on how to cure this annoyance? I keep breaking a-keys trying to tighten it more!

Hit the Moby with a digital caliper and confirm it's diameter. Hit the frame with a digital caliper and confirm it's diameter. I've seen many instances where the spec'd post diameter is too small for the bike, because of a myriad of issues related to post and frame manufacture, tooling wear, etc.

Could be the guy who reamed your frame before delivery was using an older reamset with a good bit of slop in it, and plus he was drunk from the night before, when he got the news that his old lady changed the locks...and he left his glasses at home...and the post was originally anodized blue but they had to strip that off because it was the wrong shade of blue, or the team colors for that year changed to purple, or...and....etc.

If the post isn't staying put, then I'd say the post is too small or the frame is too big.

Good luck!

It's the big lump sitting on top of it that's the problem :LOL: I'm having a similar dilemma as well, my Parkpre Ti frame should fit a 27.0mm seatpost, but it is far too loose, all the records say it should be 27.0mm, all my other Parkpre's are 27.0mm. 27.2mm fits great :?

That Utahdog sounds like a knowledgeable guy. ;) :D

I'd do the checks he suggests though and then get the right size seatpost.

stevek":pyq3nng2 said:
That Utahdog sounds like a knowledgeable guy. ;) :D

I'd do the checks he suggests though and then get the right size seatpost.

No no. I am an idiot. :p

If Gibble is serious about the paper, then I'd say to him don't ever do that. Paper will hold moisture, and between a titanium frame and an aluminum post, moisture is bad, very bad. :shock: Paper has no place on a bicycle. :(

REKIBorter":203efsqu said:
It's the big lump sitting on top of it that's the problem :LOL: I'm having a similar dilemma as well, my Parkpre Ti frame should fit a 27.0mm seatpost, but it is far too loose, all the records say it should be 27.0mm, all my other Parkpre's are 27.0mm. 27.2mm fits great :?

Drunk Homeless Guy With Seat Tube Reamer Seeks Employment...

...with reputable bike frame manufacturer. Work history includes; 6 month stint as Seat Tube Reamer Supervisor, Parkpre Bicycles Inc, 1993-1997...

:p

Back