Slipping Seatpost SORTED!

REKIBorter":1sl3dide said:
my Parkpre Ti frame should fit a 27.0mm seatpost, but it is far too loose, all the records say it should be 27.0mm, all my other Parkpre's are 27.0mm. 27.2mm fits great :?

My Pro-Elite is 27,2 too. They're probably all like that.

I had sucess stopping the slip by using 'Carbon Grease' it is a compound with little gritty bits in it. I think Pace do it... Carbon Prep? I think, it's blue.

On the subject of dangerous seatposts...

When I was a lad, my best mate grew so fast that his Peugeot Road Bike quickly ran out of seatpost....

As we had no money we set about finding a 'post' type object in his garage to use that was long enough.....

Eventually we found that a broomstick could be coaxed into the seat tube with a mallet :shock:

We then fitted the old cheap type saddle clamp interface to the top of the sawn off broomstick and went riding.... as you can imagine we did not get far :D

I think where we went wrong was using an old rotten broomstick ;)

We still have a laugh about that 30 yrs later ;)

Chaser.

sEATPOST CLAMP

Is it the hope seatpost clamp with 4 mm allen bolt?

If it is - I'd bin it. Used on 2 of my bikes because I fancied the colours and build quality.

Had same problem as yourself. The latest hope clamps seem to be a bit wider (and more expensive) I don't think the ones I had were up to the job. Clamp is not big enough. changed them and no problems.

Slippage

It's the clamp, the hope bolt up ones are completely useless, in fact apart from their bottom brackets I'm finding pretty much all the Hope stuff is complete tat. The headsets are garbage and the brakes???? Oh dear.
I swapped mine for a Salsa one, job done, either qr or bolt, they are 16mm deep. The hope ones are a lot deeper now so may be better. I tend to prefer a Carbon post in a Ti frame, less chance of seizure, slippage or creaking too.

Hope clamp

Hi Woldranger - I agree Hope Bolt clamps are pants. However I'm using QR version on Kona and that seems ok at the moment. Then again QR seem to be a liabilty in itself as missing seatposts and saddles in the past testify if you forget to take said items off when you leave your bike somewhere. Normally go the bolted route myself.

Whats the combo kev. . .
Pretty sure I know the frame, ad I'd assume 26.8, but I have a feeling it may actually be a 27.0. . ?

Lame levers don't help. . The post in Mrs elites boulder isn't held too tight by the cooks lever. If you need rock retention, winding up a ringle wingnut is the only way. Tap us a pm and we'll chat. . . ;)

Re: Hope clamp

bobgarrod":2dpujsi4 said:
Then again QR seem to be a liabilty in itself as missing seatposts and saddles in the past testify if you forget to take said items off when you leave your bike somewhere. Normally go the bolted route myself.

Don't leave your poor bike in nasty, unkind places :cool: - I've nearly always used QR's and have never had a saddle/seatpost pinched in all the years I've had bikes.

Back