Slipping Seatpost SORTED!

I find it hard to believe that Hope clamps simply don't work. However it is true that if the post is too small, the clamp has a lot more work to do, so using a clamp that is marginal with a post that is too small could be a plausible explanation.

A seat post should be snug in the tube. If it falls down the tube under gravity then it's too small. It doesn't matter what the maker says, it's too small. What the maker says applies to their average product, but there are production variations. In my experience if a post slips down the tube under gravity, then a post 0.2 bigger will fit. Whatever is the biggest post that fits is the one to use.

Once you've got a post that fits, obviously the clamp has less work to do. If it's really true that a Hope clamp won't hold a post that fits, then we ought to send an official RetroBike letter to them, because that's just not on.

Anthony":3ty2yr0s said:
If it's really true that a Hope clamp won't hold a post that fits, then we ought to send an official RetroBike letter to them, because that's just not on.

They work fine for me. ;)

Update - problem solved!

Post measures 27.2 Frame measures a tad over 27.2.

New hope clamp (5mm bolt version) and some Finish Line gritty grease compound and its sorted. No movement!

Cheers for all the advice :D

Back