Custom - is it worth it?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Now I can see that a custom frame is great if you have unusual dimensions or very particular requirements.

But for those who fit an off the peg frame pretty well is the extra cost of custom worth it?

a custom frame would be nice finished really well and the feeling of knowing it was made for you but at £1200+ its a big comitment and if you fit an off the peg what harm will it do not to have one :oops: sorry im not mcuch help if youcan afford to treat yourself and not miss the cash go for it if you know the cash is better spent else where patience wait and save :D cant think what else to say

ah, but custom isn't just about fit, is it... it's materials (choice of tubes), paint scheme, soul. Not many off the peg that can give you that I would have thought.

If its something that you'll keep, then yes. You get exactly what you want. Nayfinesse has the Fuquay which was custom and now his Winter, both are absolutely stunning bikes and compared with high end alloy frames, a relative bargain. :D

However for someone like me who isn't really sure what size he rides, its probably not the best idea :roll: However, it may convince me of the correct size if i got correctly sized ;)

orange71":1n03c9y7 said:
ah, but custom isn't just about fit, is it... it's materials (choice of tubes), paint scheme, soul. Not many off the peg that can give you that I would have thought.

I agree ;)

It's an opportunity to be REALLY REALLY fussy ( in a very good way ).
Like...

I'd like the whole frame in 853 including the stays.

I've always fancied this ( ridiculous ) colour but no bike company would touch it.

I want braze-ons for EVERYTHING even though it's a whippet ( which will snag you into the delight of a long conversation with a MAN WHO KNOWS™ that load-bearing braz-ons would require stouter 531 rear stays etc. )

I want uncowled drop-outs.

A Phil Wood eccentric BB.

...and so on.

I have two custom frames, neither of them were designed for me though. I would go for a custom fit for me frame, if I could afford it, it would probably be Titanium, and share the similar geometry/tube lengths etc to my Bontrager. I too would echo the above, that its nice to be able to pick the finer details... but at what price?

P20":2jcexgo3 said:
orange71":2jcexgo3 said:

I agree ;)

I would have to third the point. There is nothing quite like spending time on a custom made bicycle.

If i had to have a custom built frame and could afford it ,then i'd opt for a course on frame building and give it a go myself

dyna-ti":3ucbm7nl said:
If i had to have a custom built frame and could afford it ,then i'd opt for a course on frame building and give it a go myself

what ever you do dont go on the chas roberts course i phoned to book in for my 18th birthday pressant from mum, dad, nan, grandad friends had the cash (course was £850 i think plus tubeset and dropouts and stuff) been in the navy two years i was very mature for my age got told no no no no no i dont teach pechalent kids how to build frames i teach an art i was a bit shocked and he hung up on me after that i thought to myself chas is a cock :cry: :cry: i brought a woodman elite trials frame and built it instead :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back