Custom - is it worth it?

By comparison to what some off the peg bikes cost new, custom is cheap!
I had long wanted a custom bike, and had it pencilled in for my 35th birthday, coming up in a couple of years.
But I'm not buying one, because there's so many good frames about already, there's no reason to buy new anymore.

ededwards":5qmfqrcf said:
Now I can see that a custom frame is great if you have unusual dimensions or very particular requirements.

But for those who fit an off the peg frame pretty well is the extra cost of custom worth it?

When I finish what I have already started ( :oops: :oops: ) and if I get enough spare Shekels then I've always wanted to get a custom Ti build done, would be amazing to have a bike that fitted 100%/properly.

Neill

Custom fit

I believe if you fit well on standard sized frames then there is not much need, sure as someone pionted out you can get a custom frame for the price of some high end frames, but, they would not be like for like. You may get a custom 853 main tube frame customed for £1000 but you can buy a state of the art XC carbon frame of the shelf for that that or less.
I think if you can do it, ie: afford it then go for it. As mentioned it would probably save you money in the long run as you would keep it forever.
My Merckx corsa extra is a custom build, in as much as it was not a standard size and was ordered as a custom but it was only seat tube and top tube, all angles and lengths were scaled down from the standard models. I suppose without this it wouldnt be a corsa extra or handle like a corsa extra. The dealer informed me that they didnt make G.I. Joe size as standard :roll:
I will be keeping it forever, as I realised a while back when I thought to sell it. It was listed as a custom size and was a bit dearer than standard but I feel its my special corsa.
I have heard mixed things regarding British builders since being here, builds are ussually great, for a small minority its the attitude that seems a bit off. One guy who has built my wheels, preped my Merckx etc and a couple of friends have his frames is Eddison cycles in Clowne. A great guy who will help with any problem big or small. His frames are real quality.
Thats my two cents/pence.
Whatever you ride, enjoy.

Jamie

ed,
the guy who returned the deposit because of the builder's workload undoubtably a Robin Mather client. His meticulous approach swamped him with a backlog. As for the " other " builder I've heard tell of spec changes AFTER the client has chosen something else. The previous owner of 559 Bikes in Chepstow was a case in point who, after his custom build came back with angles all different from those requested was told " the builder knows better. "
Personal recommendations ONLY are what I'd recommend going for.

I'd love to go on a frame building course then build my own frame.

That would probably be the only one that I'd say was a definate keeper ;)

Chris.

Interesting read this, having just ordered a custom bike I am currently in the nightmare waiting period, having just dropped a shed load of cash and really have very little idea what is currently going on with it. All I know is that in about 4/5 months a box will arrive from Italy and then the bike shop will attach a load of campag stuff to it....I will then go for my final fitting and hopefully be the happiest bloke on the planet...

Watch this space..

ededwards":3rsuzgpk said:
Now I can see that a custom frame is great if you have unusual dimensions or very particular requirements.

But for those who fit an off the peg frame pretty well is the extra cost of custom worth it?

Yes. :cool:

I always thought that custom is just not necessary on a mtb, what with the constant weight shifting around, standing up etc and the adjustability of the seat, bars and stem.
I can see the point on a road bike where the seating position is far more constant and frankly important to get right. Then again people like colnago produce frames in so many sizes that there should be something to fit 99% of riders.
I am condradicting myself here so to summarise if you can afford it and its what you want then go for it! (after all my off the peg road frame cost more than a lot of custom and its not even italian! :oops: ) ;)

Hilts

Evening all
May be a bit off topic, but Hilts, please tell what your frame is?
Italian road ?
Just being nosey but sounds exciting ;)

Jamie

Back