Steel GT's

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm particulary fond of my Karakorum, was wondering what were the other(decent) steel GT's and where they came in in the range.

I always wanted a yellow Psyclone. Never seem to see them for sale (and now I've said that please note that I actually don't want to see any in my size come until my new bike budget gets renewed!!)

Am I right in thinking the Psyclone was top of the tree? Then Avalanche?

Psyclone was the top steel frame. The Avalanche was aluminium so not really from the same line, unless the very first Avalanches were steel..I only remember alu ones though.

Psyclone was the top steel, but that wasn't available in the earlier days. Back in 90-91 the Avalanche was the best steel frame they did (made from prestige), then came the Karakoram and the Tequesta, which shared the same Tange MTB tubed frames, then the Outpost and Talera at the bottom of the range (if memory serves).

In '92 the Karakoram and Avalanche were joined by the Richter and Bravado – I've a feeling the Bravado and the Avalanche shared the same TrueTemper GTX frame, with the Richter being a front sus equipped karakoram equivalent (not sure of the tubing option)

The Psyclone stood unique in so much as it was part of their USA-made range along with the Zaskars and Xizangs

I have a '91 karakoram and a '92 Avalanche and both have a similar riding feel, though the Avalanche is noticeably lighter and springier.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Avalanche became the Avalanche AL in '93 (I believe), and has been alu ever since – not a clever marketing idea really.

Back