Any know anything about San Marco Rolls saddles?

D_XZ

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just discovered this hiding under a gell saddle cover on my newly aquired P7. I seem to remember a friend had one of these on a cannondale back in the early 90's.

Anyone know any history about them? It seems a bit unusual with the metal name badges.

Attachments

• p7 008.JPG
    p7 008.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • p7 009.JPG
    p7 009.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,323
Made by Selle for absolute yonks and the full name is San Marco Rolls. A ton of different finishes and available with Ti or steel rails. A true classic and a peloton favorite. And I have a rather nice one on my KHS if you clck on the link in my sig

They're very well regarded among Audax riders. A bit heavy for most out and out racers, though.

Common as muck but for a very good reason, that being that they're really comfy. A Ti railed one has adorned my bike for longer than I can remember.

kaiser":1c0dcz57 said:
Made by Selle for absolute yonks and the full name is San Marco Rolls.

Made by San Marco, as far as I know. Selle just means saddle, btw. Beautiful saddles and many find them very comfy, nothing rare or valuable though.

San Marco Rolls, Regal and Concor Lite are some of the commonest saddles you see in the pro peloton. Boonen always seems to have a Regal, and Armstrong used Concor Lites.

When you are riding the distance those guys do, day-in day-out then comfort is more important than weight.

I think most people believe the pros all ride on awesome kit. However the vast majority are on Ultegra or 105, especially the smaller teams. The big teams used XT headsets with M-part adaptors as they are so reliable and need low maintenance. Similarly, real pro kit is very heavily biased towards comfort and reliability.

hamster":36oj17ci said:
San Marco Rolls, Regal and Concor Lite are some of the commonest saddles you see in the pro peloton. Boonen always seems to have a Regal, and Armstrong used Concor Lites.

When you are riding the distance those guys do, day-in day-out then comfort is more important than weight.

I think most people believe the pros all ride on awesome kit. However the vast majority are on Ultegra or 105, especially the smaller teams. The big teams used XT headsets with M-part adaptors as they are so reliable and need low maintenance. Similarly, real pro kit is very heavily biased towards comfort and reliability.

I've always heard people drop the old 'but of course the pros ride on 105 because it lasts longer', but I've never actually seen it for myself. I'm not suggesting you're wrong or anything - it'd just be nice to see some photos if anyone has any. I know the saddle thing is pretty obvious, but 105, XT...? Aren't almost all teams on integrated or semi-integrated h/sets anyway?

Back