Any know anything about San Marco Rolls saddles?

I don't know much about them, but I know I got one with my Pace and it polished up really great with some black shoe polish and leather treatment fluid... Just don't wear your best white chinos after boot polishing it!

There was a really good bit in ProCycling about a year or so on this. For the average trade team, the two or so star guys were on Ultegra / Chorus or Dura Ace, and all the domestiques were on 105 or Centaur. It's the same in Italy, where I have a pal who's a mechanic (used to build Paola Pezzo's wheels) - most racers are on Veloce. The choice is spangly bits or salary.

Just stand by the road at any 6-day race, Kermesse or whatever and you'll see. Of course the top-drawer events like the TdF have the best-funded teams, and it's rarer to see the cheaper stuff.

A lot of the teams use repainted frames - Armstrong's favourite TT weapon for years was an old Litespeed painted up as a Trek.

Weight is all relative – the difference between a Flite (200g ish) and a Rolls (370g ish) is easy to offset elsewhere on the bike – just take one less mars bar :D

Seriously though, the Rolls is a damn good saddle. Give it time to mould to the shape of your arse and it'll be as comfy as they come.

I have Flites on many of the bikes, but the avalanche has a Regal ('cause of the studs) and there's a new Rolls sat in the cupboard waiting for the Stratos to get fixed up (and that'll be a real workhorse bike)

hamster":1ypstx4b said:
There was a really good bit in ProCycling about a year or so on this. For the average trade team, the two or so star guys were on Ultegra / Chorus or Dura Ace, and all the domestiques were on 105 or Centaur. It's the same in Italy, where I have a pal who's a mechanic (used to build Paola Pezzo's wheels) - most racers are on Veloce. The choice is spangly bits or salary.
Anyone got this article? It'd be nice to see.

Crayons":1ypstx4b said:
Seriously though, the Rolls is a damn good saddle. Give it time to mould to the shape of your arse and it'll be as comfy as they come.

I'm pretty sure plastic saddles can't really mould to your arse. It's one of those common misconceptions in cycling.

Back on topic: Rolls are really popular on the track, where weight isn't really an issue.

hamster":w7ks8clt said:

Just stand by the road at any 6-day race, Kermesse or whatever and you'll see. Of course the top-drawer events like the TdF have the best-funded teams, and it's rarer to see the cheaper stuff.

A lot of the teams use repainted frames - Armstrong's favourite TT weapon for years was an old Litespeed painted up as a Trek.

i had no idea....i assumed all the guys had the best of everything...makes sense i suppose

I'm pretty sure plastic saddles can't really mould to your arse. It's one of those common misconceptions in cycling.

Poor choice of words on my behalf – I guess 'break in' would be better. The leather and padding on rolls saddles seems tougher than the flites I have. You're right that the shape of a worn-in rolls and a new one would be more or less the same, but the NOS one in my cupboard is noticeably harder on the backside than my old scuffed one. I'm sure the shells would look the same if you stripped them both of all their coverings.

thecannibal":1pc5zoog said:
They don't mould to you, it's the other way round... :p :cool:

Moulding

Selle used to make one called the squadra that was designed to mould over time to ur shape, they had a thickish layer of hard padding, over a flat shell and they really did mould to your shape.

Rolls saddles - cool. Definately do mold, either way. Got a new one on my road ( :oops: ) bike, and it's hard as nails, whereas my old one is like a sofa now.

Back