Hi, and Help with GT

sixohsixone

Retro Newbie
Hi, Just signed up been biking since mid 80.Recently got hold of an old Gt Z and in the process of stripping down + polishing thanks to Plus Gas and autosol :D Going to use for it for occasional commutes and off road XC instead of the Full Susser.
Been looking at replacing bits so a few questions.
7spd drive train need to replace jockeys, freewheel chain .Can this be upped to 8spd if not where to get?
Manitou 3`s stripped (got pdf file of manual)need elastomers .Anyone recommend replacements either spring or elastomer.
Old skool tyres have got old foldable Pan Smoke Dart with Tan coloured wall Where to buy similar they all seem to be black wall today
Frame being polished (leave to weather or seal with good lacquer )
Need stickers where?
Will post some pics as I go .
Cheers

Attachments

• web gt.jpg
    web gt.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,458
you can get skinwall modern panaracer fire xc pro's on ebay

they look the part and work well!

pm gil_m on here for decals

Hello and welcome :D

ref 8 speed: Are they DX or XT thumb shifters that you're using? DX would work in friction, XT are 8 speed.

And, I can see the front hub is Hope but what's the rear (just in case it's Hope HG or Screw-on)? If it's a Shimano HG the 7speed has a shorter freewheel then 8/9speed by about 4mm so wouldn't work.

Use the "Wanted" section on here and I'm sure you'll get offered the bits that you need.

Oh, and nice bike by the way :!:

hi and welcome. cant add anything more constructive other than nice ride!

Thats a 93/ 94 frame

DONT laquer - the alu oxidises underneath the laquer and eventually peels off - regular buffing helps

- DX thumbies have a 8th indexing click

- check elsewhere on this forum for making an old 7 spd XT M730 hub into 8 - very easy.

For the Manitous, there are NOS elastomers on E-bay. Pretty sure they're from America though but they are available.
There was a link in one of the other threads about a new company selling elastomers. Just tell them which fork, rider weight and they'll make them if not in stock. It may be in the 'Retro Chat' or 'General' thread where the link is.

I have speed springs in my manitou three`s and they work really well but still only get about 2 inch`s of travel,hope this helps,

Oh and nice :D

An American seller on E-bay does the Manitou speed springs, think they are around $30.

I'm sure someone on here has the original elastormers if you want those instead, if you put an add in the wanted section they should turn up.

If you want to get the frame really shiney strip any clear anodising off with drain cleaner then go over it with a Brillo soap pad and finnish off with Autosol. T-cut also works great on bare alloy.

As has been mentioned Gil-m is the man for new stickers.

tiboltrider123":31s5utcg said:
Hello and welcome :D

ref 8 speed: Are they DX or XT thumb shifters that you're using? DX would work in friction, XT are 8 speed.

And, I can see the front hub is Hope but what's the rear (just in case it's Hope HG or Screw-on)? If it's a Shimano HG the 7speed has a shorter freewheel then 8/9speed by about 4mm so wouldn't work.

Thanks for the replies, Hi Tiboltrider they`re XT thumbies with a shimano hub and freewheel, if i understand you correctly do i need the hope hub to allow an 8 spd freewheel, or can i use an 8spd on the shimano hub.
Thanks

polishing wise,some autosol should do the trick though some folks are mentioning a meguiars stuff that leaves a protective coating. Afterwards a little car wax will help protect it.

Tyres will come up here quite often too

And as Jimi mentioned speed springs seem a good upgrade

nice bike, looking forward to seeing this one finished :D , theres a GT thread somewhere for some inspiration.

Back