Cannondale content-is this bike still usable?

Would you ride this bike in it's current state?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Just aquired this really nice Cannondale Killer V 2000 1994 and was very excited.

However I have just noticed a small crack/fracture just by the rear hanger. I don't really know much about Al frames but do you think it is terminal?

I really want to keep this bike as I have great plans for it, but if you think riding it off-road would be dangerous or ill advised please let me know. Or is it something that can be repaired?

Here are a few pictures, hope that these give you an idea of the problem, the crack is not very deep, you just catch your nail on it but obviously it should not really be there :(

Attachments

• dale1 (Large).jpg
    dale1 (Large).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,442
  • dale2 (Large).jpg
    dale2 (Large).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,442
From the looks of it, that crack is in the best position, if you're going to have a crack back there. With the direction the wheel would be taking, it would actually be compressing the crack, rather than prying it apart.

Granted, you never want to see a separation of metal, and I'm not sure how this could be repaired, but as I said, if you were going to have one show up, this would be the place.

My $0.02..

Re: is this bike still usable?

clockworkgazz":18wqtcss said:
the crack is not very deep, you just catch your nail on it but obviously it should not really be there :(

Well, it may not be very deep (I'm sure that it goes all the way through the tube though) and will only propagate further too if the bike is ridden with it like that.

Agreed it's not in a life threatening area (for your life I mean, not the bike's !) - so I'd find a good tig welder and have him prep it and reweld it .

I'd check the rest of the frame very carefully too, if it was mine - it is 14 years old and it is aluminium........

I'd take the more fool hardy approach, mark the ends of the crack, then ride it and see if it gets any bigger. As long as you're not doing anything mental on it, if it does go, it'd be just like the back wheel collapsing, shouldn't result in any broken bones.... ;)

But i suppose if it gets to that stage, then it'll cost more to get it repaired. :oops:

I agree that the fracture is in a "good place" and I still ride the Gary Fisher when others on here told me to hang it on the wall, so I'm like you Bike Hoarder- a bit of a gambler.

The bike would be used offroad but given the rather unforgiving ride of a rigid cannondale, it would be more sedate XC.

I am tempted to run with it and see what develops. The bike was sold to me at a very good price (a full refund has been offered if I want it- top man, you know who you are ;) ) so the cost of a repair would defeat the purpose of this build. I was looking at a very cheap winter project.

mmmmm conflicted?

Gazz, how are you getting on with those forks? Did you managed to strip all the paint off?
I've tried stripping mine off, but paint stripper won't touch the etch primer, and i can't find anyone locally to bead blast it.
Sorry thread hi-jack.... ;)

That was my thought stew-b, but didn't want to get 'shot down'!
That's why i suggested marking the ends and see if it grows...

Back