Kona Kilauea Colour Help Needed

nporternz

Gold Trader
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Do I keep this kilauea the stock plum blue or go for something different and exciting!!

i really like the lavender of the team fat chance, i dont want white so any other suggestions!! get the suggestions in and i will do a poll

nporternz":219k6ck3 said:
Do I keep this kilauea the stock plum blue or go for something different and exciting!!
i really like the lavender of the team fat chance, i dont want white so any other suggestions!! get the suggestions in and i will do a poll
I think you would destroy the value of the bike by changing the colour. The Kilauea SE is extremely rare, so much so that yours is the only example I have ever seen. I'm not even sure it was ever on sale outside the USA, so yours could literally be the only one there is in any other country.

As Kona colour-matched the frame to the Marzocchi Z2, I would have thought that colour-matching might not be quite so impossible as it might seem, but it's easy to say that from here.

If you do get it resprayed, I would be very grateful if you would post up some pictures of it as it is now. I appreciate that the paint is damaged, but to me that is the best-looking Kilauea that they ever made.

Anthony":307croom said:
nporternz":307croom said:
I think you would destroy the value of the bike by changing the colour. The Kilauea SE is extremely rare, so much so that yours is the only example I have ever seen. I'm not even sure it was ever on sale outside the USA, so yours could literally be the only one there is in any other country.

As Kona colour-matched the frame to the Marzocchi Z2, I would have thought that colour-matching might not be quite so impossible as it might seem, but it's easy to say that from here.

If you do get it resprayed, I would be very grateful if you would post up some pictures of it as it is now. I appreciate that the paint is damaged, but to me that is the best-looking Kilauea that they ever made.

Hi Anthony! Yeah I thought on it last night and will try and get the paint colour matched. Gil has done me some new decals for it so if I can I will be keeping it the same colour. Didnt realise it was so rare

will post pics later today for you

Nic

Would this be the 97 we are talking about? (That is plum blue after all.) I've seen at least one go through my friends shop, so it's not the only example. There may have been two, but the memory is a little hazy. If it's not still there, I'll see if I can track it down and take some pics for you Anthony. It's in pretty good nic, paint and decals are still nice etc. Size is 18" if I remember correctly, so maybe I can convince someone to sell it for a good price, too, if you're interested.

On a related topic, sort of, there is a 97 CC for sale in the locals here in Indy Blue, looks to be in good shape. It's 1300 Danish crowns (roughly £140)for the complete bike, and appears to be a 20" (maybe 19" but Anthony will confirm.) It's a good price here, but not sure about England. I could probably talk him down to 1000 (£110) Anyone interested? He lives close to me, so I could pick it up and ship it. Shipping would be an additional £48 insured at present weight, but if pedals or stems etc. were to be discarded it would cost less with less weight.

Attachments

• 57317620_03112008233922_6485_2.jpg
    57317620_03112008233922_6485_2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 57317620_03112008233955_10_2.jpg
    57317620_03112008233955_10_2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 57317620_03112008235009_8618_2.jpg
    57317620_03112008235009_8618_2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,034
... I'll get representation on this Nic ... the "Sales Contract" specified that the frame and shock must remain the same colour as at the date of purchase :LOL: :LOL: . If you paint it Lavender I'm coming to repossess my bike that I'm missing :( :D

Agreed! Just realized that I've met the owner of the 97 last week at the shop and gave him advice on where to get decals (Gil_M). Also helping him find a 19 or 20" Kilauea, so he will sell his frame. BUT I'm afraid he may have wanted to repaint too, and says he has coated his in a clearcoat of lacquer and it didn't go so well. Hope it's fixable and he didn't strip the paint and decals yet. :shock:

Back