Help w/ rim suggestions for 1989 Wicked build

ShabbaDeuce

Dirt Disciple
I have recently acquired an '89 Wicked Fat Chance in pretty much NOS condition - I'm building it up with full XC Pro (7spd)

I was looking for a set of NOS rims that I could have built up with XC Pro hubs o have (freewheel).

I plan on running Compass Rat Trap Pass tires (2.3") - so would prefer a slightly wider rim. Colour doesn't matter.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for? I am not hellbent on it being '89 specific...just want a quality rim. Haven't been able to find much, so I've considered a modern Velocity Cliffhanger or now an Alex Adventure 2 - maybe that would be best?

Thoughts, comments or suggestions all appreciated!

Last edited:
There was also the even wider Mavic M281 (and predecessor Rando M5), but with all these wider rims (M261, RM25) you´ll struggle to find them NOS as they were quickly getting out of fashion at the start of the 90s. Making that task nearly impossible is to find them in 32h variety. These rims were made to be extra strong and were mostly specced as 36h.

Here´s a rim overview from 1989:

Scan_rims.jpg

M281 are also a lot lot heavier built than M261. I mean a LOT!

I built a set last year and compared with my normal m261, they are serious bits of kit.

If you can find a pair do....

20230504_092848.jpg

I am interested in this thread since I am also building a 89 wicked. But not at all in NOS condition haha.

It seems to be quite difficult to find something 32 hole without braking the bank. Defenitely no unlimited budget to splash all the cash at ebay.

Mavic M6CD or M7CD would be my go to on an 89. M7 slightly heavier but bomb proof.
Yeah would love a pair of 32h Mavic M6 but man are they hard to find!

I found some really nice MA40s that are mint but they're $$$...so for the meantime in order to get this bike on the road the non '89 specific 230s will have to do.

Back