The WHERE DID I PUT THAT??? issue

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Despite two house moves in the last two decades I have a weird kind of very long term memory for where bits are - I forget to get stuff when I go shopping for the family, but I can remember which box a specific set of brake levers is in, which went into back of the store years ago. My 14 year old son calls it my 'database of things' and always asked 'when did you store that?" and falls over when I say 'twenty five years ago...'.

While this mostly works brilliantly, it's in complete contrast with day to day experience working on a few bikes at the same time.

I just put things down somewhere whilst rushing a job and then waste hours trying to find them again. I managed to track down two Judy top caps from years ago, almost instantly, then whilst working to clean them PUT THEM DOWN SOMEWHERE.....

Eventually gave up in frustration ... then woke up this morning remembering that I put them in a plastic box in the kitchen whilst ferreting for the MucOff.

Anyone else?

Re:

All the time. Almost in tears of frustration a couple of times because, ' I swear it was right here just a minute ago'.

Sometimes my database of things is not accurately updated, as my partner will be 'helpful' by moving something, not mention it, and I'll spend a couple of hours losing my mind trying to find it because it is no longer where I'm convinced I put it.

2manyoranges":2wrdztdd said:
Despite two house moves in the last two decades I have a weird kind of very long term memory for where bits are - I forget to get stuff when I go shopping for the family, but I can remember which box a specific set of brake levers is in, which went into back of the store years ago. My 14 year old son calls it my 'database of things' and always asked 'when did you store that?" and falls over when I say 'twenty five years ago...'.

While this mostly works brilliantly, it's in complete contrast with day to day experience working on a few bikes at the same time.

I just put things down somewhere whilst rushing a job and then waste hours trying to find them again. I managed to track down two Judy top caps from years ago, almost instantly, then whilst working to clean them PUT THEM DOWN SOMEWHERE.....

Eventually gave up in frustration ... then woke up this morning remembering that I put them in a plastic box in the kitchen whilst ferreting for the MucOff.

Anyone else?

Yep. Exactly this. The long term map of stuff is incredibly detailed and mostly accurate (and I think it probably takes up more space in my brain that it ought to) but I have no idea where I put my screwdriver 30 seconds ago.

I think the “here and now” part of my brain is too full with the spec of current bike builds I’m working on.

Lockdown is allowing me to really indulge myself. 3 or 4 active projects at the moment, doing something on them daily. I feel great but it’s hard to tell whether it’s having a positive or negative effect on my mental health.

Re:

....yesterday my partner stuck her head in the workshop and said a phrase which I am sure is being heard up and down the country...

‘Oh....it all looks a bit tidier in here now.....’

We all have to find the happy spot somewhere between total chaos and never starting anything because it will disturb our perfectly ordered world.. I can happily spend half an hour getting a decal to a millimetre of where I want it, but haven't tidied my toolboxes for years.. Priorities, y'know..

Back