Retro old bike parts prices on eBay al going though the roof

racer x

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Went on eBay the other night for some service car parts and thought I would you take a little look on bike parts ..just typed in retro to name others and have to say in blown away gobsmaked at the prices that are beloved bike parts are now..it seems all parts new or old even used are sky high now..has anyone else noticed this..just seems like it's all happened recently

I just thought I may as well just start buying new bikes instead lol as older bikes are as expensive now inc the parts..probably won't happen but just saying :shock: :D

Re: Retro old bike parts prices on eBay going though the roof

Yes, the prices on ebay are high, wether they sell is another matter :) obviously you have to take into account fees etc but even so alot are very high.

The reason you get people buying on here and selling it on ebay :roll:

Yes the stuff that has been lingering on ebay for months is clearly over priced. anything that is reasonable will soon shift, have sold lots of stuff on it, and don't have a problem selling it quickly. My general rule of thumb is to sell it at the price I bought it for, as am not interested in making a profit particularly, just want what I originally paid for it :)

Re:

My gut feel is its the recent interest in retrobikes from riders now in their early 30s. Sold quite a few nice bits to guys like that and increasingly to far flung exotic places. Maybe the retro scene is growing around the world. You are doing very well to get your money back, particularly if you had to import it.

Re:

Cycling became fashionable, retro became cool, eroica etc. For example a while ago i noticed profiteers were buying old Raleigh catalogues (particularly the more interesting ones, lightweights, vintage road race bikes etc) for a fiver then relisting them for insane money, 70 or 80 quid in some cases. Can’t blame them for trying to make a quick buck but that’s getting silly.

Re:

Once somebody latches onto the knowledge that said parts could be "worth a few quid now" then, it goes from there with the inflation.

Personally, I don't indulge. I'm happy with whatever I can afford/borrow and scrounge.

What I'm waiting for is a reply from someone who passively condones the ridiculous
Pricing of such stuff, with "excuse u u use me! Prices are subjective and blah blah blah, buy or don't buy"....etc...

But, cometh the hour when they want those parts but can't afford them due to....

Read above....

;)

So that explains what I've been seeing on ebay - sellers listing very ordinary parts, often in mediocre condition, for top dollar prices compared to the going rate on ebay.

Re:

Stunning the prices some people put on stuff these day..just take a look on brick lane cycles for example ..Jesus :shock: :LOL: also USE components seatposts on eBay

Bike build like say near new or mint with all Grafton Ringle components top of the line etc ..probably looking at close if not more way more than £4000 lol only an example if you was mostly to sorce for eBay parts on there :LOL:

Not always the case of being priced out on builds

Re:

People buy nostalgia, usually the stuff they always wanted but never had when they were younger. Today's 2008 bike at the tip is tomorrow's retro bike.

Latest posts

Back