Today vs yesterday

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
I know we have discussed modern bikes versus old etcetera. However, I watched a video tonight on bookface and see that modern myb'ers are trying to outdo each other constantly.
Back in the day when we were excited to be able to ride a bike off road, we were happy.
Now that we have done and explored all that it seems to now be who can be the crazyest/fastest off road?
I have always been happy to ride the trails etc at my own pace and have fun. Now it seems to be who is hard enough to ride the crazy trails?
So yes, modern bikes need to be developed for these Evil Canevils! Me? I still do the crazy stuff I knew when I was a lad, and that's cool enough for me. So my retro bike will more than suffice. :D

Agree 100% it looks to me that they ride mtbs like bmx now. I will always ride with my wheels on the ground.

As long as they are enjoying it and not doing the extreme stuff because of peer pressure its all good.

I'm happy going for a gentle ride round the lanes on something old, but also enjoy the Peak district but on more confidence ispiring bikes. I would think quite a few people would get bored at my pace though.

Re:

Do they really inspire more confidence, surly it's the same confidence, they just make things easier to ride.

I dunno, me and the guys I rode with all those years ago were more often than not daring each other to tackle that 2ft drop off, ride down those 2 flights of steps outside the school (or ride UP them if you were a real hero.) Etc etc.
Nowadays I'm more happy just riding, but still get the urge to try something "Rad" or "Gnarly" a couple of times each ride.
I don't think much has changed, just that modern bikes make it possible to do even more extreme stuff generally.

jimo746":xpbbh776 said:
I dunno, me and the guys I rode with all those years ago were more often than not daring each other to tackle that 2ft drop off, ride down those 2 flights of steps outside the school (or ride UP them if you were a real hero.) Etc etc.
Nowadays I'm more happy just riding, but still get the urge to try something "Rad" or "Gnarly" a couple of times each ride.
I don't think much has changed, just that modern bikes make it possible to do even more extreme stuff generally.

Agree with you. We did push each other to ride down complex staircases, very steep drop offs and it was a buzz doing it on our simpler bikes. Modern bikes are so over engineered for purpose that people need to risk serious life and limb to get the same 'hit' we did. Ask anybody who works in A&E today. So many mountainbikers coming in with fractures, concussion and often far worse. This was pretty rare bitd imo.

Back