Why weren't ATBs a development of BMX?

grey-beard

Orange 🍊 Fan
Following a post on the BMX section on here, I went down a cycle pro? Rabbit hole.
It looks like they were doing what I imagined I would've done had I been in charge of the development of the mountain bike in the early 80's.
Basically make a BMX cruiser, which already existed and put gears on it?
It seem so obvious to me now rather than trying to convert road bike stuff for off-road use.
Anyway, what else looks this capable off road from 1982?
IMG_20231008_090136.jpg

What about this one from 1980.

I love that bike, but, it's very much a development of the klunker with road parts too, the stem for example.
I'm not trying to be controversial, it's just if I had a time machine I would go back to the late 70's and tell Scott Breithaupt to stick gears on his 26" cruiser, maybe canti brakes too and call it a mountain bike.

Following a post on the BMX section on here, I went down a cycle pro? Rabbit hole.
It looks like they were doing what I imagined I would've done had I been in charge of the development of the mountain bike in the early 80's.
Basically make a BMX cruiser, which already existed and put gears on it?
It seem so obvious to me now rather than trying to convert road bike stuff for off-road use.
Anyway, what else looks this capable off road from 1982?
View attachment 785502

Because...

Think back

riding off-road existed in various forms but not as a widespread sport or passtime

the great cycling parts bin comprised of road, tandem and BMX with a sprinkle of motorbike parts - sure , there was cyclocross but that evolved into lightweight bikes to be carried, not mudpluggers or fast off road

knobbly tires were not a 'thing' either

so, out of that you have to evolve an entirely new bike for you and your mates to hurl yourselves down Californian fire roads

and once you do start building your own frames after running out of 2nd hand ones, you are still limited to what is available. You have to adapt road and tandem again or go down the route of fabricating your own drop-outs, lugs and even rims

so there you go

read Charlie Kelly's books and you'll see why

I love that bike, but, it's very much a development of the klunker with road parts too, the stem for example.
I'm not trying to be controversial, it's just if I had a time machine I would go back to the late 70's and tell Scott Breithaupt to stick gears on his 26" cruiser, maybe canti brakes too and call it a mountain bike.
Some folks did have rim brakes and external gears on their klunkers

Wasn’t Shimano deerhead introduced in 1982?

But before that all you really had access to was touring bike derailleurs because it was still quite a new thing.

Back