Every day is a learning day

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Today I took my Giant MCM to the LBS, as the SID forks were playing up. When I tried to pump them up, they would lose all the air when I released the pump. :evil:

The mechanic there, a TOP bloke despite his youthfulness, put some new valves in the top caps. They are valves used in inner tubes! How about that? :shock: So, easy to come by!
He pumped them up and gave me a spare adaptor for my pump, as the O ring was buggered.

WP_20161126_20_53_22_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

All for £3, and I was offered a cuppa too, so the lads could admire the bike !

A PROPER LBS! :cool:

Mike

Re:

Thats the same as my Rond WP Pro 3's.
Must take them to my LBS and see if they can do the same :)

Re: Re:

Gruff":17c5qrac said:
Thats the same as my Rond WP Pro 3's.
Must take them to my LBS and see if they can do the same :)

You may just need a valve core remover G, think I may look out for one myself

Really pleased they solved the problem, I feared it would need a new set of seals

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

iscervo":2gq6mzxq said:
You could have started your own little business for the price of that park tool :facepalm:

I think the one I use most is and old spoke with a slot cut in it;-)

integerspin":1cob4guq said:
iscervo":1cob4guq said:
You could have started your own little business for the price of that park tool :facepalm:

I think the one I use most is and old spoke with a slot cut in it;-)

How? Cut a slot in a spoke?

Also forgot to mention, they're the same valves in earlier Marzocchi forks too apparently

Mike

Pretty much all air forks use standard schrader valve cores, as used in cars, schrader-valved inner tubes (but not presta valved ones), wheelbarrows, and lord knows where else besides.

I've got a couple of valve core removal tools. One was made from a small length of car brake line with a slot hacksawed in the end and a big washer brazed to the other end, the other one is "professional", looks like this one
219FmEOqT8L._SX355_.jpg

Cost me 2 euros. I've also got a valve cap with integrated core removal tool on the motorbike.

61AsPtFK3ZL._SL1200_.jpg

Back