130 or 135mm dropouts

16vGTI

Retro Guru
Can anyone tell me the rear dropout spacing for 1989 Specialized Rockhoppers / Stumpjumpers, 130or 135mm?
Thanks.

It should'nt really matter - they are steel and will spread the 2.5mm either side. There should be no issue with the smallest cog fouling the stays as sometimes happens.

And just to actually answer the question - I would think that they were 135mm

My last one was 135mm and that was an 88.

Re:

Not much use but both my 89 Clockwork and 89 Tufftrax are 130mm.

Disagree with the above. When I tried to fit the bigger size in to my old yellow/white 89 Clockwork project it wouldn't work. Had to find some 130mm's which fit perfectly.

legrandefromage":24806m78 said:
It should'nt really matter - they are steel and will spread the 2.5mm either side. There should be no issue with the smallest cog fouling the stays as sometimes happens.

And just to actually answer the question - I would think that they were 135mm

My last one was 135mm and that was an 88.

LGF is right. It doesn't really matter with steel. This is great if you want to put modern wheels in there.

Yeah you can flex the frame and shove them in. Golden rule is only go one size up, so 126 can take 130, 130 can take 135 - but you're pushing your luck trying to get 135 into 126.

Re:

My 89 Epic is 130, can fit a 135 wheel in the frame but I'm not going to ride the thing like that. For a steel frame I wouldn't be so worried but it's better to get the right spacing regardless of the frame material i'd say.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to know as there was a hub ending on ebay I was interested in and I wasn't able to do any measuring earlier. I would always fit the correct size for the frame.

I've just measured the rear wheel & it is 130mm O.L.D

Back