GUESS the MARIN: '94 Zig-Zag Trail or Team Marin?

AH1F

Devout Dirtbag
I was just wondering, from these shoddy pictures, if anyone can see any flags I'm missing.

I haven't got the frame number from the fella yet but I think this might be a '94 Zig-Zag Trail. It's a XT/LX mix and the right colour scheme. The other option is it's a '94 Team Marin.
I can't really make out what the Tange badge is.
From sight can anyone tell if it's a 17.5" or 19"? he reckons it's a 19".
I really want it for the Ritchey Headset which is a lower profile than modern versions and what I think is the Titec bar; both are to go on my '94 Team Issue build which I've built up from frame & fork.
I also think that's the original Marin Lite seat on it.

The seatpost is stuck which is a concern but the parts on it will cover the total outlay if the frame is lost trying to remove it.

Cheers ahead of time for any info

Attachments

• MARIN1.JPG
    MARIN1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 512
  • MARIN2.JPG
    MARIN2.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 512
  • MARIN3.JPG
    MARIN3.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 511
  • MARIN4.JPG
    MARIN4.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 510
Agree, it's 17.5 inch something - I initially thought Team but the black cantis are making me think Zig Zag.

Of course, it's possible to change them.

Sweet find regardless. Add wheels and ride! :D

I was looking at this last time they had it for sale and judging by the parts if there the original ones and looking at the catalogue it seems to be a 94 zig zag trail,they've also got the cable stops on the headtube. Thing what put me off buying it was something doesn't look write on the lower part of the seatstay and the part of the tube on the chainstay closest to the drive side drop out. They seem to be a different colour to the frame,maybe a reweld or just the paints come off or just bad photo,it put me off anyways and it'll not matter if your just stripping it for parts.

On the possible re-weld I thought the same, the other pictures from the advert don't cover that area very well either. There is a lot of discolouration which did raise flags as does the lack on non-drive side pictures.
The bloke's reasonable and seems to pick bikes up doing clearances, I bought a 93 Team from him a couple of months a go, so I'd hope he know a re-weld.
Well I'll see tonight.

Re: '94 Zig-Zag Trail

Picked this up tonight. It's the 17.5 '94 Team frame built up as a Zig-Zag Trail.

The discolouration is where someone's done a cover up job with a grey acrylic paint. There's a bad scrape across the top tube, it doesn't line up with the bar arc, I initially thought it had been patched with a small weld or filled with an epoxy or similar the stickers over it and lack of light in a dingy car park didn't help! All credit to the fella he knocked another £15 off it for that and a couple of soft dents in the top tube.

Quite like the novelty fact it came out of the factory as a Zig-Zag but the frame will need stripping back to the bare metal if I decide to do a restoration.

Does anyone know what the finish is on the frame? It just looks like a "steel" matt sheen paint finish. If it's something more exotic I think I'll look to dispose of it.

Cheers

Back