posting frames without a box?

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Has anyone ever tried to post a frame without a box, just well wrapped in bubble wrap and tape? Is it the worst idea ever?

I received on like this once. I wasn't happy as it demonstrated a lack of care in the item getting to me unharmed. I've had wheels, forks and other parts simply slung in bin liners with no attempt to protect what's inside.

Up to you, I suspect if it got damaged, even if you sent it insured, they wouldn't pay out.

Just to clarify, I'd never send a bike or item I'd sold in such a way, but I have a possible winter frame at my mum's and I may ask her to post it to me, but getting the right box might prove a bit complicated for her.

Having had ParcelFarce completely f**k an SBC Allez frame that was securely packed in a bike box, I'd suggest that bubble wrapping a frame is asking for trouble.

Had a Santa Cruz arrive in bubble wrap only.

I wasn't chuffed one bit.

Attachments

• santacruz tazmon 001 (Large) (Custom).JPG
    santacruz tazmon 001 (Large) (Custom).JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 547
It's all in the packaging. A frame with each tube individually wrapped in bubbles can be a lot more protected than one slung in a box without any care to hold it in place.

yagamuffin":p0emmlfh said:
It's all in the packaging. A frame with each tube individually wrapped in bubbles can be a lot more protected than one slung in a box without any care to hold it in place.

+1
I have had frames and components delivered in bubble wrap, all were fine. The only damaged items I received were all in boxes, and also all were marked handle with care!! I ask sellers not to put that on the box anymore as EVERY one with that wrote on gets damaged. Boxes without it arrive fine! But it helps if the seller/sender knows how to pack. :roll:

Mark

yagamuffin":2mitq6m0 said:

Sorry, are we now heading to the land of Whatif :?

14 layers is what is needed if its bubble wrap only. Saw a prog ,may have been mythbusters :? and to totally protect something with bubblewrap, you need a minimum of 14 layers.

More to it that that obviously. In a box its the area the bike is in is protected, not just the bike, frame or contents.

My Breezer came wrapped in bubble wrap, it was a complete bike minus wheels, the
bloke just wrapped it in bubble wrap.
But he wrapped the bike in quite a lot of bubble wrap, then he wrapped the entire thing in three
layers of bubble wrap that looked like it was made from pond liner. It was probably tougher than
a box.

Back