Posting Wheels in boxes - again.

Supratada

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
That old chestnut?
Once again as I tried to post out a set of wheels in an actual wheelbox, from a bike shop, I find most couriers do not accept a package of those dimensions. There's no option to post, online. Only Evri will allow you to actually buy postage or courier-age, by having a system of combined dims that must not exceed 245cm.
Mine did, by a small bit but I tried it on.

No. Got hit with an extra £10.80 on top of the £8 original bill. Ok, I chanced it and got stung.
Yet the box I got from a LBS was from Trek to the shop, via UPS. UPS do not offer a service online for this box size.
I can't imagine the likes of Trek are paying £18 for postage each time.

To rub salt into the wound, yesterday, a wheelchair arrived in a box (its for the MIL). A huge box. TNT and postage was £12. Thus the wheelychair people must be paying less for their courier services.

To quote Marvin Gaye, let's get it on.
No, sorry, what's going on?

I posted a frame via parcelforce not too long ago for £10. Perhaps their policy has changed or you can only exceed that dimension on one axis.

Sent a set of wheels in a wheel box using Parcelforce last week. Used their website to pre-book it. Basic cost was pretty reasonable (less than a tenner from memory), and £500 insurance added on an extra £20ish I think.

From memory a box for a pair of wheels will measure around 70cm (H) x 70cm (L) x 20cm (D).
Assuming a weight of 5kg, the above dims, and UK to UK postcodes, Parcelforce website comes back with rates from £6.90 for a two day service dropped off at their depot, to £12.20 for an urgent delivery collected from your address. All with £150 insurance.

I use Parcelforce every time. Literally never had a single problem with them unlike other couriers which all seem to be hit and miss.

Max length plus girth is 3m and must be less than 1.5 metres long. Suits me for both bikes and wheels.

IMG_4051.jpeg

Stupid question of the day, do you do Parcelforce at the local post office?

I've some wheels I want to move on, but never sent any via the postie before.

Back