al carter sacrifice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowe1677

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
just picked up a 89 muddyfox pathfinder which is pretty much standard factory components from its time(exage country).The bike is excellent to ride as it is and i love the paint job crackle effect,but the thing is the components are a little ugly and plastic looking.
I have an al carter black panther with full deore dx components and was thinking of transfering all the al carter parts on to the mf frame,so really sacrificing 2 bikes for one :( . i cant afford at the moment to buy all new parts for the mini project so stuck in two minds what to do,would i just be wasting my time?what would you do?

Attachments

• 27 079.jpg
    27 079.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,757
  • 27 058.jpg
    27 058.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 1,759
Only one thing, for sure I wouldn't ride Pathfinder in THAT gear!
Or leave it in that gear for prolonged period of time. Just mine 2 cents.

Keep the al carter as is and slowly do the fox up as and when you can afford things for it. Thats what I'd do.

Think you could switch most stuff (wheels, brakes, rear mech, chainset) over and back again quickly depending on which frame you wanted to ride.

Biggest pain would be swapping shifters/levers (6spd vs 7spd) so maybe worth getting a spare set so you can leave them in place.

I'd leave the al carter well alone..it looks peachy

there is plenty of cheap exage/deore/lx and dx around to build up the the muddy fox

The Al Carter is a sweet bike and looks factory fresh, also the DX is a bit new for the MF.

I'd do up the MF slowly with a few choice parts first - m730 brake levers, thumbies and cantis would be a great start :D

if anybody has any m-730 i may be interested ;) as i think your right the carter components are a year or 2 over date

Yep keep the Al Carter as is and do a rolling upgrade on the 'Fox

I had a similar quandry with my recently acquired Courier Comp

Had on BITD remembered very very fondly... Rose tinted in fact... Looked at the Exage Country/Mountain LX stuff with 23 years having gone by and hmmm haha!

I'm gonna rebuild and ride as is see how it does! I used to thrash the sh*t out of my old 'Fox barely looks possible

But I digress I think the fox deserves DX and 'Carter deserves M730 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back