XTR v’s - cable tightening bolt. Bottom or top?

markoc

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Quick Q - not had XTR v’s before , and they don’t have the little tab that XT’s do to hold the cable to the top of the RHS arm. Do I route above or below. Gone below in the pic and tried to get as much cable between the washer and the arm…

AB2CEDAF-4E52-4090-B69D-990EA38DC081.jpeg

Whereas the XT’s have a shaped bit to help hold the cable

E8A0E9FE-0C5D-42D9-8C4B-F627D7F3C28B.jpeg

If you take your clue from the XT which is at the bottom, then the XTR will also be the bottom.
But usually even on the XTR 'washer' theres a little groove, so take it right off and have a check, i have seen such on other V's LX/STX.
If there isnt a groove then default to the bottom as with the XT.

I always run them through the top of the bolt.

Thanks - will take the bolt out and have a closer look! Why they didn’t put the little tab on the XTR’s I don’t know. Would seem a lot more of a secure way to fix the cable.

Weight I guess ….

Never had a issue and I prefer it to the XT method as the cable can be made to look neater.

Top. You can see the groove on the arm in the pic, and that with the cable routed through the bottom as pictured, it doesn't look 'straight" as it should.

it doesn't look 'straight" as it should.
So why does the XT one go on the bottom ?, that wouldn't be straight either. That alone implies straight isnt naturally the correct way
I know im confusing issues :LOL: and the only way to truly know is to find a catelog pic showing it mounted on a bike.

Xt bolt is on top of the arm. Xtr on the front face. Completely different. I've had/got lots of xtr brakes on builds and the cable really really does go over the top of the bolt. Don't fight it, it just is what it is.

Latest posts

Back