Brake cable wisdom please - 1.6mm or 2mm?

JCS

Kona Fan
Looking for some advice on brake cable options. Specifically, should I stick with 1.6mm inners or change to 2mm inners?

I currently run 1.6mm inners with M900 XTR canti's and MT-63 Deore levers. This is generally OK, BUT the cable end is quite small for the brake lever and does not seat properly. Instead of seating vertically (as it should), it seats horizontally in the lever. I got a set of plastic c-clips (pic below) to try to correct this, but they are too thick to fit in the MT-63 lever so I can't use them:

1691923349486.png

BITD I used to run 2mm inners with 6mm outers and on the cable ends I used 'stepped' caps so the 6mm cable and end cap would fit in the frame braze-on (which is 6mm diameter). See old pic below. This worked fine and the cable end cap was bigger (I think) and seated properly in the MT-63 lever.

1691923100132.png
Questions for all you wise ones:

1. Do you know if 2mm inner brake cables have a cable end that seats properly in Deore MT-63 brake levers?

2. Do you know where I can buy the 'stepped' cable end caps (I have done a quick search, can't find any)

3. If I use 2mm inners, will they fit in the straddle cable directly below, or would I need to change to the straddle cable in the bottom pic?

1691923194239.png

1691923230216.png

This is a pretty random question but if anyone has any tips, I am grateful to hear..!

FYI the bike is a 1991 Kona and is ridden off-road regularly.

Last edited:
I buy venhill large cable ends for motorcycle clutch cables....they slip over a standard cable end and make them the right size for older levers....

20230813_121202.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back