XTR M952 chainring rot

It was only the chainring bolts holding the middle ring together

View attachment 853573
Scary.

Here's a set which seems to have a decent middle and outer, m950 not m952 but pretty much the same. Inner seems to be going the way of your middle though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
They are later gen xt (m770) but do fit m970 xtr I believe.

Never tried them as alternatives to m952 rings, do they fit? Could be interesting if they do.
We used to see a lot of m950 series chainsets - i don't ever recall seeing a replacement ramped middle ring all alloy, so perhaps shimano changed the design early?
Techdocs ought to give a compatibility rating, although it's not always reliable.
There's an xtr 950 spider in the same drawer, I'll offer it up and post back👍

As far as I know, they aren't bonded.

If you have a load nocking around then I'd be up for one or two as I have a few xtr m95x chainsets on bikes I'm not looking to part with ever, but would like to ride them (more) and keep them running with a stash of spares.
IMG_20240604_153214.jpg Sadly they don't fit. 112🙄
I've got a couple of spiders, one looks double
... one looks single

IMG_20240604_154520.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240604_154507.jpg
    IMG_20240604_154507.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 2
Aye - inner & middle ring have gone really granular. Outer ring is fine bar the minor tarnish marks. What surprised me was the middle ring splitting - looks to be 2 parts bonded together that have now started separating.
Thats exfoliation corrosion. The corrosion migrates along the materials grain boundries its particularlly common in the higher strength alloys 2024, 7075 etc. I have seen bits of aircraft structure that looks like a well thumbed paperback :oops:

Thats exfoliation corrosion. The corrosion migrates along the materials grain boundries its particularlly common in the higher strength alloys 2024, 7075 etc. I have seen bits of aircraft structure that looks like a well thumbed paperback :oops:

Is there anything that can be done to prevent or slow it down?

Last edited:
The one that looks like a double is a standard outer ring spider with the ring lopped off, making it a double.

Do you have any pics of the triple?
Of course - the outer ring was integral to the spider so effectively there's only 2 rings attached!
The other spider looks like single, ill look in the box downstairs as if I can find a triple

Back