Xtr dual control on retro Mtb?

Mod-Master

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
Hello all, found some good looking xtr dual control shifters (hydraulic ones) and was thinking what would they look like on my bike? I know these aren’t the best genre of shifters but they’re good value to my eye

Any opinions?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Oh those things, yes they are weird, I remember them coming out.

How easy is it to break & change down at same time ?

Good for weight weeny street fighter bike or something.

You never know with the paddle shifters until you try. Personally I got on well with them and quite liked them really (I only ran the V-brake ones rather than disc, but I assume the braking is fine). The problem is that there's no discernible benefit to them. The M960 STIs don't look especially attractive, and are a bit bulky and plasticky. They definitely don't have that XTR feel about them. The M960/965 model has an unnecessarily cumbersome process for changing the gear cables since you need to unscrew the the shifter casing cover and then remove it by sliding it off the right way. From memory they also save no weight at all compared to separate brake levers and shifters. And to use them the way they're intended you need to use a rapid rise rear mech, which is a bit limiting in choice, though there are plenty of used ones kicking around.

Hi,
Come on it's as simple as this ;)
shimano xtr_shiftdiagram_03_f.gif

I was using for years XT dual control and ever liked it, never understood all the moaning. Precise and fast shifting.
Sure, using now XTR but just occasional at my Razorback makes it a bit more hard also for me, because you have to be a bit used to it. Still like it...
Razorback im Schnee.jpg
Also the Disc brakes work nice.

So, go for it, buy ideally those should be used at a Youngtimer, at least first decade of this millennium and with the rest of the 960 (or correctly 965 for Disc version) group.
Also cranks and derailleurs are nice.
2003 XTR (3).JPG.jpg

On what bike you're planning to mount them? With regards to the Disc brakes, there are IS variants too.

Last edited:
Was going to mount them on a 96 cannondale and swap the hydraulics from discs to Magura rim brakes. But xtr is just too expensive for me, I’m going xt.

I'd look for the LX 580 series models, loads should be about new for cheaper and no missing part ls or wear and tear.

May even pick up the XT new too, CRC sold a load off a year or so ago dirt cheap. (I think some odd xtr one too).

As for switching to Magura brakes, I don't think it works like that.

Back