Work bikes

Same bike, but with a few quality of life improvements from my parts bin. Vetta SL saddle, Thompson seat post, unknown brand but very light and slightly shorter (more comfortable) stem and Ritchey grips, it was a lovely ride before but now it's a really lovely ride. :) Pic taken on the way to work at 05.30 this morning.

P8043627.JPG

Last edited:
Cinder Cone on the previous page is now gone, I parted it out and made some of my money back
The BB ate itself after a couple of weeks, took it apart and one side's cup is seized in the frame. Got written off by a mechanic friend.

For now, I'm using this £17 eBay bargain, only changed the tyres and added guards:

1994(?) Carrera Krakatoa Flex.
It runs great - the middle chainring has a crack in it and it's non-replaceable so cranks are next on the list.
yep 94, I have the same one, still giving sterling service, it's Triggers Broom really as its on it's second or third set of wheels, third set of cranks, and second set of handlebars, gear shifters( old ones given away to a mate when I converted it to drops). It's still on its original BB, brake arms, seat post and derailleurs though.

Decathlon £150 single speed folding for my mixed car + 2.5 mile scamper through woods commute... Solid for the job, even in deep mid winter slop. Needed a cheap chain tensioner, Halfords BMX tyres, and replacement of open cup bottom bracket made of cheddar under warranty to get there but solid and a bit like driving an Austin mini across a ploughed field: Involving! Handy for bitty trips around town too.
IMG_20211208_085940805.jpg

my "luxury" workbike - one of the only luxury I endulge in ! - was previously on a 700C Genesis frame which could take only 32 tyres but my old bones require now more comfort !
Nua titanium frame for 650B wheels ordered , and my latter build with handmade wheels on Alfine 11 hub and alfine dynamo
XT disc brakes and various old parts NOS or used from my stash !

Not exactly work as I am retired but my everyday hack at the moment is this fillet brazed lightweight framed bike of unknown origin, it is possibly a Hobbs of Barbican bought for £35 on Ebay but soon to be replaced by its predecessor which is a Raleigh Sports homage Thorn Expedition just reworked with more retro black components.
Just returned from the farmshop with coal and victuals, no I don't try and ride it like that.

IMG_1191 - Copy.JPG

And its replacement not quite finished.

IMG_1283 - Copy.JPG

Back