Wishing everyone strength for the coming months.

ultrazenith":2n23hnsc said:
More difficult times are on the horizon, I wish everyone the best of luck with what may be approaching, which I fear may be worse than what was experienced March/April this year. There is of course hope on the horizon, of vaccines to blunt the spread of the virus, and the likelihood that some aspects of the "system" in which we live will need to be rethought for the better.

Not to make this about politics, but I feel the virus and the resulting tough decisions our leaders have had to make regarding balancing health and life vs economic considerations has revealed a number of big issues in the way we live and work nowadays. For instance, our economy and our lives ave been progressively squeezed into a corner where everything is leveraged to the max, and there is have virtually no slack available to deal with any kind of crisis or unexpected stoppage of any sort. Almost everything and everyone has been made to (and got used to) operate in a state of teetering on the edge of total collapse. Now this killer virus comes along and all that was needed was to shut down almost everything for a month at most, but we couldn't do it properly because the system can't handle not having every singe able bodied person of working age at work 40+ hours per week, or every pound in everybody's pocket being spent on consumerism (OK, I exaggerate). My conclusion is that I hope we learn from all this and rebuild a more human, kinder, yet resilient system with a better work / life / health balance.

I'm v lucky in that I am working and my job can be done from home, and flexibly, but being in the public sector in a non-essential role there is a risk that my contract will be ended early if the government's finances get really bad as a result of lockdowns etc.

I don't think there's anything political there ^^^ I reckon you're bang on the pulse of it, and totally agree with your sentiments.

Peachy, I still haven't forgiven you for the mental picture of you in Drag. :LOL:

My_Teenage_Self":2k1s6er4 said:
Peachy, I still haven't forgiven you for the mental picture of you in Drag. :LOL:

Felt surprisingly comfortable.... :shock:

legrandefromage":2k1s6er4 said:
I've owned at least 12 Claud Butlers

Ah... but did you love any of them?

Aye, furloughed then lost what was a decent paid but full-on job end of July with minimum payout. Decided I can't be arsed to get back into corporate life or full time work so am much worse off but fallen back on a little hobby business I've run for a few years which was supposed to be a pension top up. Working one day in a bike shop too until I get my new ankle, hopefully next month. At 58 I'm now classing myself as semi-retired.
Happy as Larry - covid-19 has provided a welcome reset.

Positivities and good wishes to you too Steve and all others RB.

I’ve been teetering for a while. Now commuting 44 miles each way to keep it all together.

Needs must and all that. Almost sold a pioneer.

ultrazenith":20xd5v0c said:
More difficult times are on the horizon, I wish everyone the best of luck with what may be approaching, which I fear may be worse than what was experienced March/April this year. There is of course hope on the horizon, of vaccines to blunt the spread of the virus, and the likelihood that some aspects of the "system" in which we live will need to be rethought for the better.

Not to make this about politics, but I feel the virus and the resulting tough decisions our leaders have had to make regarding balancing health and life vs economic considerations has revealed a number of big issues in the way we live and work nowadays. For instance, our economy and our lives ave been progressively squeezed into a corner where everything is leveraged to the max, and there is have virtually no slack available to deal with any kind of crisis or unexpected stoppage of any sort. Almost everything and everyone has been made to (and got used to) operate in a state of teetering on the edge of total collapse. Now this killer virus comes along and all that was needed was to shut down almost everything for a month at most, but we couldn't do it properly because the system can't handle not having every singe able bodied person of working age at work 40+ hours per week, or every pound in everybody's pocket being spent on consumerism (OK, I exaggerate). My conclusion is that I hope we learn from all this and rebuild a more human, kinder, yet resilient system with a better work / life / health balance.

Word.

My_Teenage_Self":2hlod5k2 said:
Here we go; Lockdown 2.0.

I hope you're ALL in a good place to see this through. My thoughts are with those of you that have had a rough year.

my personal hope is that Retrobike can remain a bastion of support, creativity, humour and positivity throughout this. If you need help or support, speak up. The 'mental game' of covid is hitting a lot of people. Hard.

Peace.

Steve

Hi Steve. Doing my best to make ends meet. More family time is a plus. Less money is taking some getting used to, but it's better than no money. At least I've still go a bit of work going on to keep me sane, and the wolf from the door. All the best to you mate :)

ultrazenith":wb6havdo said:

I'm v lucky in that I am working and my job can be done from home, and flexibly, but being in the public sector in a non-essential role there is a risk that my contract will be ended early if the government's finances get really bad as a result of lockdowns etc.

Well said

I spent most of my furloughed time decorating or on a bicycle or drinking in the sunshine (sometimes all at the same time, I never will be able to explain those tyre marks).

A switch to cider saw the beergut disappear (not a recommended medical advisory)

The missus went batshit crazy as she works for local government and was putting 11 12 hour days at the dining room table without barely moving - there was just so much work to cover for what went on behind the scenes that wasnt news worthy despite at one point having to cover 7 days a week. Even now she is still very very busy.

I managed to stay remarkably sane but the fair weather and the good effects of physical exercise kept anything silly at bay. But; what really upset us was that when we could get out, we would go to the beach on a quiet day only to find the other 8.5 million furloughed population had already got there and we never had the chance to unwind anywhere. It was only by pure luck that Rhodes had had just 5 official confirmed cases that we were still allowed our holiday over there - and if you think the UK is suffering, imagine 80% of your islands income simply not there. It will be a very hard winter for them

My own work is relatively busy but theres plenty of us still being furloughed the odd day here and there - my diary goes very quiet into next week.

Not wanting to call my work to ay I have to self isolate for 14 days, I havent set foot in a pub since March, nor have we been to any shopping centres or have we eaten out anywhere. Its been home cooked or the odd takeaway as that urge for a dirty kebab just doesnt go away.

So, yes, lockdown 2.0 or MKII - we'll just sit it out and do whatever, theres always some more decorating to be done.

Re:

I’ve been furloughed since March. Supposed to go back Nov 2nd and that’s now been extended. Been in same job 16 years so it’s quite a shock to have time off (work 6 days usually)

Coped well during the summer as I was riding 100-150 miles a week and managing to do gym and walk dog but winter is definitely harder. Still riding 100 miles a week but doing it faster (colder so not stopping etc ) which leaves more time hanging around. Not sure what I’d of done without fitness activities and can completely understand why people struggle.

I’ve been trying to focus on the positives about the whole thing to keep myself sane. It helps. I’m fitter , healthier , have better home life , and more time for things I like to do.

Try not to think about the negatives or think what if. I’ve also learnt not to worry about stuff I can’t change or what might happen regarding work and money.

I’m pretty damn tired of covid now though and the political game that seems to be played.

Latest posts

Back