Who made this Genesis bike(circa 1996)?

rochester21

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys. I need a bit of your collective wisdom. So i ordered this classic mtb fitted with a almost complete 24 speed deore LX group set. I am guessing the bike was made somewhere around 1996.

"Genesis" is apparently the name of a british company, however online it is mentioned that they started making bikes 10 years after this bike was released. The frame is steel(cro-mo), but i don`t notice any sticker showing what tubing was used. I bought the bike mainly for parts, but maybe she`s a keeper?

Can anyone please help me identify the maker of this bike and maybe the year it was introduced(judging from the groupset)? Thank you.
mvkgo9.jpg

28somk3.jpg

28vg307.jpg

fntr4.jpg

OK, thank you both. However Gary Fisher bikes look quite different from this one, most have suspension forks and says "Gary Fisher" on them.

The Intersport version is more likely, but did they sell quality bikes 20 years ago? The bikes i see now at Intersport are...bad. No quality to be found there.

I quess i`il have to do some more detective work after the bike is delivered.

UPDATE: Alright, i think i got it. At the bottom of the http://www.genesisbikes.at/
it says © 2016 GENESIS & INTERSPORT. The only similar bikes that i could find were sold on german ads.

Thus it would appear that my bike was probably made for the german market by a company working for Intersport Gmbh, which is different from the current UK based Genesis bikes, distributed by Sportline UK. Two different manufacturers, one name.

I hate it when different companies use the exact same name. I have a similar situation with my german made Centurion bike(also a japanese brand).

Thank you, magas !

Back